Sign in to follow this  
kakarott

Airbag light are on. ANY help?

Hi Guys

My car is E46 318i, the airbag light came on yesterday, and my friend has used the electronic device to identify that the problem was the passenger seat (actually was the Mat? in the passenger seat has faulty or broken somewhere), and he reset the airbag warning light but it keeps coming back on. Anyone know what causes the light to come on? Where should i go to get it fixed in wellington? Any idea how much it will cost?

any help-much appreciated

Nick

Edited by kakarott

Hi Guys

My car is E46 318i, the airbag light came on yesterday, and my friend has used the electronic device to identify that the problem was the passenger seat (actually was the Mat? in the passenger seat has faulty or broken somewhere), and he reset the airbag warning light but it keeps coming back on. Anyone know what causes the light to come on? Where should i go to get it fixed in wellington? Any idea how much it will cost?

any help-much appreciated

Nick

There is a little pad or mat in the drivers seat which senses when weight is applied that there is a person there and to activate the air bag. So most probably the sensor in the pad or mat has broken and you will have to fork out the money for a new one, I think from memory they are about $1000.

Thats about right Beau, the small spring in it gives up

thanks for the replies, guys

but any suggestion that where can i get it fixed at lower price in wellington? is jeff gray good? i dont think there are many bmw workshop in wellington!?

thanks for the replies, guys

but any suggestion that where can i get it fixed at lower price in wellington? is jeff gray good? i dont think there are many bmw workshop in wellington!?

Im from Auckland so dont know Wellington, but a good Auto-Sparkey could do it and probably cheaper too.

With my e36, Team McMillan quoted around $650 for parts (new seat sensor mat) plus around 2 hours labour.

The auto sparky that I went to built a circuit to fool the SRS system that the sensor is ok and the seat is always occupied.

Basically what this means is if airbag were to deploy, both front bags will come out instead of just the driver bag even if the passenger seat is empty. The idea behind the seat occupancy sensor is, supposingly, saves repair cost. But if an airbag is needed to deploy, the car is more than likely a write off, so where is the savings??

With my e36, Team McMillan quoted around $650 for parts (new seat sensor mat) plus around 2 hours labour.

The auto sparky that I went to built a circuit to fool the SRS system that the sensor is ok and the seat is always occupied.

Basically what this means is if airbag were to deploy, both front bags will come out instead of just the driver bag even if the passenger seat is empty. The idea behind the seat occupancy sensor is, supposingly, saves repair cost. But if an airbag is needed to deploy, the car is more than likely a write off, so where is the savings??

yes, you're right, so i'm trying to get it fix properly, jeff gray quoted aroud $400 for the sensor mat plus labour, hope i can get it fixed next week.

thanks for your help.

Im from Auckland so dont know Wellington, but a good Auto-Sparkey could do it and probably cheaper too.

i'm sorry but what is Auto-Sparky?

thanks for your help

i'm sorry but what is Auto-Sparky?

thanks for your help

Auto-Electrician.