Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

HELP !

Hi there

i will try and describe the problem as best as i can

hopefully some one will recognise this

I have a 325i, e30 Manual, 1986

it just started happening, there is a severe tapping/grinding noise coming from where the gear stick is

i am hoping that it is just some stupid bolt that has come loose.

But when i get past 60 kmh, if i do not have the gears jammed in (e.g. applying force and holding them in) then there will be a very loud GRINDING NOISE, also some what power full, some times at 100kmh it is hard changing from 3rd to 4th gear cause the vibration as it passes neutral is so strong. And as the speed increases, so does the grinding.

Heres something, lets say im doing 20kmh foward, put the clutch in and press the gear lever to the left, the position before pushing it into reverse, it makes the same noise, just not as powerfull and not as fast. could this be a clue?

Any help, i am really worried its my transmission on its way out, since the Grinding is getting worse

or could it just be a loose bolt some where under the center console??

Cheers guys

syncros maybe? doesnt sound too flash

you been abusing it? might have something to do with it

get under there and see if anything is loose, could maybe be the console and driveshaft interference?

yeah well it changes gears fine, its just as if somethings loose in neutral is grinding against it.

What exactly am i looking at ?

and i going to have go under the car or and i just taking the center console out and checking it out

how much it cost to get syncros done??

what the worst case senario lol

I think its definately worth checking to make sure there is no contact between shift linkage and d-shaft as ths would be a relativey cheap fix, and would give the same symptoms.

Jack the car up and put it on jack stands. You can see the area where the selector and the driveshaft are close without removing anything.

Edited by bravo

That sounds like a plan, ive been experimenting while driving, since ive taken the center console out to have a look, i can pull the shifter up while changing gears and have no problem what so ever, so obviously some thing has come loose and is grinding against maybe the drive shaft.

What exactly would have come loose might i ask, so i know exactly what to look at? when you say cheap fix, whats going to need replacing? I have almost had enough of jacking my car up and becoming a car mechanic, lol

jacked car up,

had a look round the shifter and started to tighten bolts on the drive shaft mount

ONLY to realise there were 2 missing, and the another one loose, so who ever touched the drive shaft last i might have a word to, because they also didnt tighten the fan blades, broke my door handle, and broke my bonnet latch . . .

SO yeah, i tightened the loose one, and the noise has stopped!!

must get new bolts, at some point,

THANK YOU FOR POINTING ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION again .. . . . .

You guys are awsome :D