Sign in to follow this  
PLYBO1

535 Troubles

Hey guys, I drive a 1988 535i manual, and lately its been a dick, its stutters down the road, sometime dies, or just loose all throttle. even when foot is flat. now been to my mechanic, he is us sure, computer comes up with no faults, tested a AFM and ECU, nothing made any difference, I am now asking if any of you guys know what could be the problem?

total bill atm is 13 hours Labour and 2 Diagnostic tests.

So yeah if any one knows. please let me know of anyone know a good cheap Bmw mechanic here in Wellington

a mate of mine had a similar problem in his E30 - turned out to be a cracked air intake hose between the airbox and imtake plenum. It may not be what your problem is but it's easy enough to check :)

Check your in tank petrol pump.

Regards Ray

Check your in tank petrol pump.

Also fuel filter, spark plugs, dizzy?

I wouldn't go back to that mechanic, if after 2 1/2 working days, zero progress!

Hey thanks for all the response, I've /we've checked fuel pressure with a gage, fine, checked sparks and dizzy fine, might check that hose.

its hard to describe, but when it happens I have to drive Half clutch and pump throttle to keep revs up, like a drummer hitting a drum, man I get a sore leg but if its the only way I can get it home.. when idleing it is below 1k flutters around half throttle kicks up a bit then drops back down (even when holding that position) its a real strange problem, thinking on taking it to the Pros (Shelly BMW) I Know its gonna cost me a Mint taking it there,

I`ve seen these symptoms acouple of times.In an `89 535 and a `94 540 where the petrol pump cracked but still operated. The cause is most likely to many years of running on a naerly empty tank. Often is worse when patrol level is to low or believe it or not,to high. If this is the case an easy fix as I discovered. No scanner will pick this up.

Non of the `experts` picked this up. (E34 specific)

Regards Ray

ps. check fuel pump relayas well

Edited by HELLBM

I`ve seen these symptoms acouple of times.In an `89 535 and a `94 540 where the petrol pump cracked but still operated. The cause is most likely to many years of running on a naerly empty tank. Often is worse when patrol level is to low or believe it or not,to high. If this is the case an easy fix as I discovered. No scanner will pick this up.

Regards Ray

The past owner was my mates dad - he used it for long trips, NPL-WLG so yeah Full to Empty Every Week, could be a problem, so you reckon its cracked??

Edited my post, check to eliminate and let me know.

Regards ray

Thanks ray, yeah will do, so in a way cracked, how do you mean?

Seals, etc..

yes i agree to , faulty fuel pump , just replace it ,

cracked pump housing (leaks no pressure etc) .

have in stock