Sign in to follow this  
bumpstop325

Laptop loosing time

My laptop is loosing time. every hour that passes, it will only 50mins will pass on the Laptop. Only noticed it about a week ago.

I am running XP (came with laptop). I did a format about 3months ago. is this easy fix or will i have to put up with it?

Not the little battery is it?

As in date/time battery? (anyway to check? )or main laptop battery?

My laptop has turned into a desktop pc and usually remains plugged in 24/7.

As in date/time battery? (anyway to check? )or main laptop battery?

My laptop has turned into a desktop pc and usually remains plugged in 24/7.

As a pure _guess_, I would of thought it would be related to the date/time battery. The flat watch type one. But one would also think that if plugged in 24/7, it wouldn't get flatterned?

Normally this is the lithium battery and is very easily replaced. Alternatively you can set XP to use or not use world time to keep the pc up to date via the internet clock.

How old is your lappie? Bring it down and i'll fix it up ;)

Edited by Carl

It's like bringing a US clock radio to use in NZ - 60Hz vs 50Hz power supply.

Laptop uses DC, so it shouldn't matter. Besides, how can the clock be slower while powering on anyway? It could be more than the battery.

I'd start with the internal battery Tim.

The RTC "real time clock" would be the next point of call. However, that is wildly inaccurate. As the base crystal frequency is 32768Hz and it would need to be oscillating at around 27000Hz to the losing time that fast.

Internal voltage to the oscillator circuit could be an issue, if the Laptop has an oscillator circuit rather than just a crystal.

The average crystal will cause your time-keeping device to loose 0.5 seconds per day at room temperature. As the internals of a laptop are hotter, you would expect it to actually gain time.

Edited by Cain

Maybe it's your room Tim, bad Feng-Shui (sp), perhaps sh*t the laptop to another part of the room???

I had it fixed under warranty in the last 6months, with a new motherboard. I unticked the box with the internet time thing. Cause it was ticked when i found it. the laptop is coming up 5 years.

Cain, where did that come from? Nice piece of info.

Maybe from all the sining that has been done in the room before me, carl?

As usual Tim, I full of useless sh*t.

Used to work for Rakon. GPS guided bombs are a little more complex than a clock crystal.