Sign in to follow this  
Gus

Glenn: 5 Lug ideas

glenn, if i am using the 5lug front struts, what spring/shock combo must i use? e30 stuff? as in J stock?

or would i have to use e36 gear? i imagine thats the case, depends how similar it is?

rear is e30 stuff i take it

glenn, if i am using the 5lug front struts, what spring/shock combo must i use? e30 stuff? as in J stock?

or would i have to use e36 gear? i imagine thats the case, depends how similar it is?

rear is e30 stuff i take it

Rear stuff is straight E30.

I've always had coilovers up front so not 100% sure what works But I have heard E30 springs & top perch work fine on the E36 struts, just don't know how well the E30 springs sits on the E36 lower perch & the height.

Guest Rick James

H&R front E30 M3 coilovers bolt up, but you'll still need an E30 m3 bearing and caliper AFAIK.

They also come with the sway mount on the strut.

H&R front E30 M3 coilovers bolt up, but you'll still need an E30 m3 bearing and caliper AFAIK.

They also come with the sway mount on the strut.

Yeap, you just need to buy the M3 sway bar links and bearing / hub set as well and your front is 5 lug.

Its not hard to modify the spring perch either to what ever you want,However, you just need to cert it under NZ law.

Yeap, you just need to buy the M3 sway bar links and bearing / hub set as well and your front is 5 lug.

Its not hard to modify the spring perch either to what ever you want,However, you just need to cert it under NZ law.

You also need the E30 M3 steering arms and discs/calipers/dust shields (unless going custom).

All of which becomes very expensive very quickly in comparison to the E36 parts.

Which IIRC, this thread is about???

Any of this stuff will need a cert so it doesn't matter what route you take either.

hmm interesting...

im just curious as it would enable me wheel choice (i want a 16" 3 piece weave, the only one i have found is £1500 compomotive...i know there is more) but it seems far too expensive to get 5 lug...am going to need brake upgrades too and would prefer alloy calipers to save weight

or i could just stop mucking around with cars! new place is nice, will take some photos up to show you guys

or i could just stop mucking around with cars! new place is nice, will take some photos up to show you guys

Might as well just cut your dick off. :D

haha, i mean i shouldnt worry too much about cars, as i cant do anything about them! when i do get back and do the turbo, might have it as an open source BS project, where suggestions are welcomed?

however, i wil probably end up doing what i want anyway haha

so glad i have moved house, the place i was staying had a mint mtech 2 with 16" RS'...that was tough!

New hubs machined up ?

or a 5 stud hub from a bmw with similar design that can be machined down to suit E30 fitment ?

use some 5 series rotors and calipers with the nice adaptor plate and it would be a tidy 5 lug swap.

A frind and I did this recently with a R30 skyline with some Z31 rear 5 lugs into the R30 4 Lug control arm.

something to think about anyway.

sure about that ?

Yip, the bit that bolts to the bottom of the struts to attach it to the control arm and tie-rod so you can steer.

ahh righto, the tie rod arm. yeah, they are about $190 each. Struts either way will cost you $1700 for the pair (m3 or bilstien) the whole lot (not including brakes) is about 2700 to do.

I would (if I had to do it again) go the bilstien strut way as it doesnt require cutting and welding the new spring perch if you want "coil overs"