Sign in to follow this  
jpp

Best product to bring up faded paint?

My car's paintwork is faded on the roof and boot quite badly, and has light scratches all over it.

Not to mention a few chips in the bonnet from stones.

Whats the best product(s) I should use to bring up the paint, cover scratches and 'colour-in' stone chips?

And whats a good method to maintain the shine, cut and buff? 3-Step?

Also, should this be done during overcast, indoors, or in any situation?

Thanks in advance.

NEW PAINT

Heh, it's not _that_ bad, like a buff would bring it up dramatically, just want to know what a good colour product is to try...

A good thing to do before using 3 step , or colour cure etc, is to use a WAX- based light-ish cutting compound. BUT there are probably quite a few out there and perhaps i just happened to find the right one in my dads garage when i used it on one of my cars..... cant remember the brand......

This is very different to a water- based harsh cutting compound which just scratches the sh*t out of your paint and looks horrid....

Usualy people warn when suggestin cutting compounds.... perhaps i have just been lucky??

Oily rag should do the trick for about a whole day, then repeat process. Na, only joking.

Just don't use the white turtle wax stuff as it doesnt look good on plastic bits, white and powdery and stuff. <_<

Edited by Quailboy

Basically, you'll need a good clean, cut, polish, touch-up, fill then protect. It's 2 full days of work and while it's best indoor because there will be less dust (hence lower chance of swirl when you polish). Outdoor is fine.

Make sure you have PLENTY of clean, soft towels. Farmers sells some fancy face towels (20x20 cm squares), those are perfect ($2 each on special). Cut the label off so it won't scratch the car, wash then tumble dry to make them soft.

Clean - Dish wash liquid to get rid of old wax, clay bar for other contaminent.

Cut & Polish - You can try 3M PerfectIt-II Rubbing Compund (you can get this in trade supplies stores) or Meguiar Medium Cut (Super cheap). For best results, you'll need a electric polisher to apply them.

Touch-up: use a small art-work bursh. NEVER use the brush that is in the touch-up paint bottle.

Fill: Fill deeper scratch that polish can't get rid off (if you polish too much, your clear coat will be gone). I use 3M Machine Glaze or Hand Glaze. (Trade supplies store)

Protect: Any "Wax" product basically. Carnuba based product for more depth and shine, polymer based product for long lasting. Polymer based product can usually "layered" for a deeper shining look.

Plus here's a step-by-step article from Total BMW a while back.

TechNov02.pdf

Edited by my_e36

3 step mothers wax works a treat.

Give it a wash with there "California Gold" carwash first

Takes awhile but well worth it