Sign in to follow this  
cainchapman

New computer & broadband

New computer & broadband  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

None of the computer stuff really makes sense to me,but for your internet provider stay away from Slingshot.

I have been with them for 4 months and have had to reset stuff once a week and keep ringing them only to get " reset your modem please".

My 2c

But what Glenn means is you don't get a remote + mean software (owns media center) to use while connected to your TV

I beg to differ, heard of Hauppage, they do remotes for pc's and they're not the only ones - plenty of choices

I beg to differ, heard of Hauppage, they do remotes for pc's and they're not the only ones - plenty of choices

"out of the box" is what it's about though Carl.

None of this 3rd party software/hardware is needed to improve what you buy.

Some people don't like fiddling with computers to get them doing what they want.

I've got so many 3rd party pieces of software on my PC to get it to do what I can on the Mac with ease.

It makes the regular "rebuilds" a nightmare remembering what you've installed to do what, did you keep a copy of it or do you have to download it again.

For a maintenance/hassle free home computer, a Mac works great, is easy to use, is stylish, not being a computer geek but how many times do you look at your PC and say "wow, you are a cool piece of white ware aren't you!! And you don't even sound like a coffee machine!!"

I'm not saying they are the be all & end all of computers, PC's are still better if you like to "fiddle" or into heavy gaming etc... and you can build something that performs better for less no doubt, but does it make you smile!?!?!

Seeing as I work in video production - and my gaming requirements is GTR2 and GTL (both of which work in full graphics on the MBP)

Gus: It is hard to list - the built in software pwns on Mac. sh*t just works - i.e opening and closing laptop lids - the computer doesn't freak out .Heaps of little things.

As I'm finishing work tomorrow and losing the laptop and my new job has a desktop.

I finally have to buy my first computer.

So, which is it?

I only need to get internet access, e-mail and get photos off my digital cameras and maybe play about with the odd video (nothing flash).

Then as I will also lose my company paid broadband. Suggestions for a plan and provider for the above usage would also be appreciated.

Cheers, Cain

my best advise to you would be to decide on a budget. Im in that industry so i can get what ever you want at good prices. Last time - about 6 weeks ago, i got a laptop for a mate for $1950 and the best he could get any where else was $2450. pm me if you want me to source somthing for you.

re broadband - i would recommend Inspire out of Parlmeston north - There entry deal is $35 per month, 5gb cap, static ip address - the best part is that their support is great and you dont wait long on the phone. setup is free for self install. they dont give a free modem though - however this is a good thing because the telecom modems are s**t. a decent modem - like a speedtouch is about $90 or so....

i hope this helps.

cheers

Zee

Guest Rick James

Keep it coming. Obviously, I use a Windows based machine each day and Gus has a point that they are different to operate. However, if I get an iPhone and iPod Touch, then having an Apple is better.

Don't get a touch, I just picked up a 160gig iPod classic and it is light years ahead of previous iPods.

I'd wait for a 2nd gen iPhone, a mate has a couple i've played with, and they need some tweaking to be perfect, at the moment, the Nokia N95 is 3 times the phone.

Also, the touch is simply an iPhone that can't make calls, and who wants an 8gig iPod anyway? Pointless.

hmmm 160gig classic

thats me sorted

they having a fat masty over the new ipod stuff here

Guest Rick James

hmmm 160gig classic

thats me sorted

they having a fat masty over the new ipod stuff here

Dude, so am I. I got the first 160 in the country :D It is light years ahead of the previous versions. So so badass now.

Edited by Rick James

ordered an iMac and Ipod Touch. Will get an iPhone when they arrive.

Only got a 3 week wait for Apple to deliver the Mac! Useless buggers.

Using Mum's G4 now.

I agree, I probably could get a better deal with a Windows machine. I don't have a budget for the new machine. In the end, I like the Mac's. Deb liked the iMac more than the Macbook. Decision made.

Yes, you are correct on the iPod Touch being a toy, but why not. My Palm was too and the LCD screen that Gus has somewhere. It will do until the iPhone arrives.

Edited by Cain

Am I the only one who keeps getting this thread listed as having new posts (it tells me now that Cain edited it 3pm this arvo) but nothing appears to have changed ?

I noticed that too. But it appears to be whenever someone votes in the poll, it lists it as a new post.