Sign in to follow this  
Tomo

e30 318i idle problem

Hi guys

ive got a serious problem with the idle on my 318i. Half the time it acts completely normal, idles smoothly at 800rpm, and the other half it drops down around 500rpm, causing it to rev all over the place and stutter, and quite often stall (it stalled twice for no reason today while i was driving) what could be the cause of this? I took it to a mechanic (who im not going back to for various reasons) and he has replaced the vacuum hoses on the inlet side to no avail. Help!

Could be a few things, and getting quite common.

I had BM Workshop look at my 320i, took them 3 days of labour, several parts and a dent later.

They had changed the dizzy, rotor, exhaust gasket, some air inflow things, plugs etc... I don't think it was a simple one fix, was more of a several things had gone wrong -- probably due to one thing with flow on effect.

In this order check; Idle control valve,Throttle position sensor and then Air flow meter assuming there are no vacuum leaks.

In this order check; Idle control valve,Throttle position sensor and then Air flow meter assuming there are no vacuum leaks.

thanks ill have them looked at.

thanks ill have them looked at.

my car is doing the same thing, FL 318i. i've checked for vaccum leaks and didn't find any. mine is doing bascially the same thing. start it up, it runs beautfiully. next time you start it up while its warm, it won't idle.

Tomo: let me know how you get on and where you go to get them looked at. :)

my car is doing the same thing, FL 318i. i've checked for vaccum leaks and didn't find any. mine is doing bascially the same thing. start it up, it runs beautfiully. next time you start it up while its warm, it won't idle.

Tomo: let me know how you get on and where you go to get them looked at. :)

will do

Try this it may help. take the idle control valve off and get a can of throttle body cleaner spray it into the inlet and outlet holes,use plenty and keep this up till you can rock the body back and forward and you can hear a crisp action from inside and clean fluid comes out of the holes.then replace the the hoses from the throttle body to the idle valve and from the valve back to the intake.The problem is that the breather hose from the cam cover takes the dirty oil and returns it to the throttle body. vortexes forward to the idle valve pickup and the dirty oil causes the idle valve to become sticky and not function properly giving the fluctuation in idle. My theory, I,m not perfect but it worked on mine. Hope it helps you.

Recently with my 318i I had the same issue, turns out it was just a split in the hose after the air/fuel sensor.

Bit of tape later, and confirmed the problem fixed, now its just a case of tracking down or coming up with an alternative fix for it.