Sign in to follow this  
QuickSilver

Manual kit,

Ok ladies and gentlemen, this is obviously a really really common thread, however, I just came into possesion of a complete manual conversion kit, well, im missing the spigot bearing, but reading that conversion thread by ollie im thinking $30, so thats not too bad, even the clutch plate etc is in good nick and I think its useable, this is a 240 box with all the bits, but im not sure of some things, what is it I really need to check? As far as im aware the gear box and bits came out of a working car which had been crashed , front left damage, everything looks in very decent nick and im quite pleased with it...

What do I need to give special attention to? what do I need to make sure is perfect? any advice with anything before I start putting it into my car?

Cheers, Alex.

Ok ladies and gentlemen, this is obviously a really really common thread, however, I just came into possesion of a complete manual conversion kit, well, im missing the spigot bearing, but reading that conversion thread by ollie im thinking $30, so thats not too bad, even the clutch plate etc is in good nick and I think its useable, this is a 240 box with all the bits, but im not sure of some things, what is it I really need to check? As far as im aware the gear box and bits came out of a working car which had been crashed , front left damage, everything looks in very decent nick and im quite pleased with it...

What do I need to give special attention to? what do I need to make sure is perfect? any advice with anything before I start putting it into my car?

Cheers, Alex.

im missing the spigot bearing, im thinking $30, try about $9 from a bearing shop .

having never done this i wouldnt know. just make sure you line the clucth up perfectly center and the flywheel or the end of the crank should have a locator so you put the flywheel on the right position. it should be just a bolt and unbolt situation. nothing realy too complicated. and make sure you have oil in ur new box. as silly as it sounds

It's worthwhile replacing the seals while it's out of the car (they're cheap). Unless you like removing and replacing gearboxes, definitely make sure the clutch and throwout bearing are good!

Do you have everything - clutch master/slave/pedal etc, propshaft, gearshift cradle, flywheel, etc blah blah? Everything!

Can't say on your car, but on my 2002 it helps a lot to angle the engine slightly nose up (a few cm) when trying to engage the input shaft onto the clutch.

sydwayz e30 - yeap, have centreing tool which I bought a while back for a different clutch, so no problems there, also have oil already,

CamB - I'll be replacing seals, its a good thing to do anyway, I have.... clutch plate, fly wheel, pressure plate, prop shaft, gear shift cradle, (spigot bearing on the way) and I assume throwout bearing is the same as release bearing in which case I have it too, master and slave cylinders, all connecting bolts and lines but I will be renewing the bolts... im sure i've missed some parts out and im almost positive that I actually am missing one or two small things, just got all the clutch checked by my mechanic and he said their in good nick and fine to re-use, pleased with that result!

edit: pedal box too obviously

Edited by QuickSilver

You got the external torx sockets? You can use normal sockets, but its easy to round off the hex ones, and they are a c**t to get out once they have been rounded off, especially if they are the top bolts. :)

its not the small mount bolted underneath the console type area ?? in whch case I did get it,

edit: couldnt see picture before, and yeap I got number 8,

Edited by QuickSilver