Sign in to follow this  
Moto

Buying E36

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy either a E36 model 320i to 325i manual for under $10,000

I was wondering if you could tell me if there is a dramatic difference in fuel consumption between the two and also if there is a marked difference between the earlier say pre 1996 and later models?

Any other opinons and thoughts would be appericated!

Thankyou :)

Go 325i.

Try searching, theres lots of info on this.

From my searching, I don't find there is a noticable difference between the pre and facelift models [mostly as alot of the pres now look like facelifts anyway], but you will notice price variances with kms, overall knick, location, body shape, special things [like leather, sports seats, mags, reputable mechanical history, engine capacity, audio, and any other modifications]. You should be able to find a manual motorsport for around $12k if you look hard enough, plenty of manual coupe "iS"s about for $7k.

Just comes down to what you REALLY want, and how good you are at bargaining people [heaps of E36s out TradeMe, so people are finding it hard to sell 'em {LIKE ME!}]

Don't buy an early E36, the build quality of the early ones is crap! We have had a '92 325i for 6 years now (too long) and have tipped thousands into it. Worst car I ever bought.

Problems are;

Jap import, Jatco auto sucks.

Interior is crap, roof lining, door trims and seat coverings all stuffed out and have been replaced $2k.

Have replaced radiator, air conditioning, exhaust (OK that's normal wear and tear), bottom control arms, auto box.

Buy a Toyota Corolla. Here endeth rant. :angry:

Don't be fooled, 320i will not have better fuel consumption than the 325i, I have a early 1992 model year E36 320i with the M50 engine (no VANOS) and its mileage was not as good as a friend's 1994 325i (both auto). The M50B20 is underpowered for the weight of the E36 IMO, if you go 320i you may as well go with 318i for the better fuel economy of 4 cylinders - the acceleration of the 320i will be similar to the 318i. Unless you're set on a 6 cylinder, of course... the 6 sounds better than the 4.

So if you're comparing 320i vs 325i, go with 325i. If you're open to the later models (1995 production year and later) which have the M52 engines, 323i (which is a 2.5L) and 328i will be good choices. There also made a M52 version of the 320i which I assume will be better than the M50 320i. The 323i is definitely a nice car to drive around in, the M52 has more torque down low and it is quite effortless to drive. The 328i will just be an even more powerful version of that. The 323i is a de-tuned 2.5L and has the same exhaust system as a M52 320i, therefore some power can be had by de-restricting the exhaust.

As for pre-96 and post-96... in 1996 (or 1995 production year) the M52 engines were introduced. No changes in the exterior of the car, but 1997 was the facelift year and some cars came with clear lights, different steering wheel (3 spoke), sideskirts, sleeker side indicators, and a different nosepanel and front grills. As far as I've seen, there are also no 1997+ cars with unpainted bumpers.

If you are buying one from around 1992, few things to note: 1992 had no airbag, they started from 1993 onwards. Also pre-92 and early-92 had a different front suspension from post-92. You can change them to the post-92 style but it will cost more in parts. So if you are planning to put in an aftermarket suspension, try to buy above 1993 to maximise your options down the road, with that you also get an airbag.

Also, believe the digital climate controls that are found in later E36s were introduced in 1996.

i have 92 325i 5spd , its my daily hack car , yes the early ones have pretty bad interiors , i sel part for these and lots of interior bits go out the door .

i agree 320i is under powered for the weight , might as well have the 2.5litre if you are going to cart that weight around .

my car has been reliable for me .

i converted it to manual .

have heard the auto's suck .

i sold my old auto no probs .

get one about 95 onwards to get better interior .

later cars have probs with abs , electronic heater controls .air bags issues .

this is just some of the feed back i get from customers .

my car is the simplier model , no air bags , no electronic heater controls , no vanos issues .

just have to put up with saggy door cards , have replaced my hood linning ( from my own stock ) also repaired drivers sport seat with bits from a customers passenger seat .

mines done 220,000km now , and still goes ok .

Iv driven a 320, 325 and 328.

320 is gutless, uses fuel-you wont get any satisfaction out of driving it.

325 goes good up in the revs, not as much torque as 328, my bro has a '93 model and has had no problems with it and its up for sale now at $4995, its auto but at that price you could do a manual conversion and still ahve room to move.

328 is awsome to drive, its got torque and it also revs, just as economical as 320.

323 or a 328 would be my pick having driven 318,320,323,325,328.

I own a 98 320i auto and has Vanos(Company car my choice would have been a 328i) and its sluggish around town but i find it good once its up to speed.Generally get 600-650ks out of a tank depending on the driving.

My old man has a 97 323i auto and it goes a dam sight better than my 320, plently of torque and power and goes really well, i love driving it.

Nice cars though the e36 and the newer ones have a better interior, and to be honest i like the auto, as long as you look after it servicing etc i find it shifts well.

I personally have a 1997 Facelift 320i auto, jap import, but the main reason i purchased it was because I got it for $5k. which at the time was bloody good value.. (still is now i guess, but k's are upto 137,000k now).

This is my 1st BMW, I used to always have Jappas, but my last car (a Golf GTI) got me into Euro cars.

Fuel Economy Wise, its not that economical around town, I get about 200ks from $40 (which is about 24litres) so 8km's per Litre of fuel basically.

On the open road its totally differn't, on an average trip i'll get 15kms per litre, i think the main reason for this is that the lockup torque converter kicks in at open road speeds, the RPM at 100km is just under 2500rpm, which is good for a 2litre engine.

Around town the car is a bit of a slug, unless you put it in sports mode, turn the ASC off and put your foot down alot.

Handling wise the car performs ok, however mine doesn't have supportive m-sport seats, so you tend to fall out of your seat on hard cornering.. the stock brakes are fairly responsive even by todays standards (imo).

Now i'm hooked on BMW's, but my next one with have a manual transmission and some more power.. I'll probably keep this one for years as my missus loves driving it.

Thank you for all the great information and help!

You have shed some light on what I should be looking for I guess now I just have to wait for the right car to come along.....

Thank you for all the great information and help!

You have shed some light on what I should be looking for I guess now I just have to wait for the right car to come along.....

I have the 1996 E36 323i. It has 185000kms travelled. Similarly too charles28 - it is my first BMW. Being a Japanese import it has a couple (inconsequential) vibrations through the gearbox (Jatco box) between 20 - 30kph, but these 'ride out' once it warms. I may have to get a new pump for the wiper fluid, this is not a big issue imo. I fully recommend this model, as I travel from Queenstown to Dunedin occasionally and it has proven itself very worthy as a beautiful open road cruiser and quite economical ($75.00 Return). Around town it is a bit of a guzzler, but hey?.......it's a 6cyclinder BMW! I love the look and I am well and truly hooked. I payed 6K for mine. It has been looked after. I have clocked up 5000kms in the last 3mths (mostly open road) and it feels like it will be as sweet at 360000kms. Well here's hoping.

Aye!