Sign in to follow this  
otagomed

Service reminder

Hi, I got E46 328i.

It has car service reminder feature which tells me that I'm due for the servicing after certain kilometres.

Anyway, last time when it was re-set the car was telling me that I need to get a service after 25000km, however I need to have my car serviced every 15000km as it is the minimum requirement for my car warranty and I plan to have it serviced every 10000km anyway. Can anyone tell me why the car says that I need it every 25000km and what's the point of having that function if I need to have it done every 10000-15000km anyway. My garage charges me $30 for resetting the switch and I don't see any reason why I should do that. Is it alright not to reset the switch? or is there any way that I can set the switch so it gives me more realistic servicing period?

Cheers,

Hi, I got E46 328i.

It has car service reminder feature which tells me that I'm due for the servicing after certain kilometres.

Anyway, last time when it was re-set the car was telling me that I need to get a service after 25000km, however I need to have my car serviced every 15000km as it is the minimum requirement for my car warranty and I plan to have it serviced every 10000km anyway. Can anyone tell me why the car says that I need it every 25000km and what's the point of having that function if I need to have it done every 10000-15000km anyway. My garage charges me $30 for resetting the switch and I don't see any reason why I should do that. Is it alright not to reset the switch? or is there any way that I can set the switch so it gives me more realistic servicing period?

Cheers,

It just a reminder system.

You can buy tools to reset them off trademe,i got one for $80 from memory.works mint.

Servicing every 10k is the way to go.

Oh yea, your garage is a rip off for charging you $30 to reset it!!!!

Yeh, you don't have to follow it. Some in US even say it's a scam because by lengthening service interval, it would look like it's cheaper to keep and run as servicing cost will be less for the same km. Also, BMW Dealer do not have to service it for you until within 500 or so km if you have service contract with them.

I believe with the 'newer' engine technologies the service interval can get longer.

However, there are two things here:

1. It's entirely possible that BMW does lengthen the service interval to drive down the maintenance costs which in turn make their cars sound cheap to maintain.

2. On the other hand, it's also absurd that some mechanic geezer in an Auckland office decides that ALL cars with their mechanical warranty have to get serviced every 10000kms. I think the German engineers who were the makers know their stuff better than some Auckland mechanic. Hence I bought warranty from AA and not Protecta.

The previous owner of my Compact get it serviced every 6 months/10000kms with his local garage. They used 'ordinary' oil and after three months the engine sounded raspy. Cost the guy about $150/service.

After buying it I got serviced with Jeff Gray, who used more expensive oil. The service cost $230-ish. It's already past 6 months now, and the engine still sounds better than straight after getting serviced with the cheaper oil.

Moral of the story, even if you're getting it serviced every 6 moths/10000kms, use a slightly more expensive oil as it will benefit your engine greatly.

As my E60? It's counting the brake pads, oil service, spark plug, microfilter, inspection and who knows what else. I pay attention only when it starts to complain :-)

Edited by 318Touring

2. On the other hand, it's also absurd that some mechanic geezer in an Auckland office decides that ALL cars with their mechanical warranty have to get serviced every 10000kms. I think the German engineers who were the makers know their stuff better than some Auckland mechanic. Hence I bought warranty from AA and not Protecta.

Yeah, I think it varies with warranty companies. I looked into getting an Autosure and the requirements were for it to be serviced every 10,000kms or within manufactures specified intervals.

I don't think servicing intervals are dictated by marketing. Reliability of vehicles is worth so much more in the long run to manufacturers. BMW and also Mercedes with the active service systems would ensure the vehicle is maintained when it should be.

Also, I would tend to trust BMW's claimed serving requirements more than those of your local grease monkey!

Edited by Jeremy

Hi, Thanks for the answers.

One other thing that I wanted to ask was what sort of engine oil should I use for my car?(1999 E46 328i)

Any particular brand? They use some cheap oil and it only costs me $6/litre or something.

I don't mind spending more money.

One other thing that I wanted to ask was what sort of engine oil should I use for my car?(1999 E46 328i)

Any particular brand? They use some cheap oil and it only costs me $6/litre or something.

Castrol Magnatec 10w40 is what i use...Thats what Jeff Grey Bmw recomended me.

Oh dear....

My invoice shows Txt Softec LL-01 at $19.26/l + GST!!!

The previous owner's garage used Rimula X Oil 15W/40 or Helix 10W-40 at $9.8/l + GST.

yeah seriously find your self someone else to do your services, that oil must be a new world brand or somthing, basically refined old crap, i would recomend a semi or full synthetic for your newer engine, i use penzoil platnium full synethtic in mine, made a huge difference when i changed to it, car runs smoother. and charging $30 to reset your lights is a ripoff, it takes them less then 20 seconds, most places i know will just reset it for free.

If the oil is from a garage, there is a high chance that if a mainly jappa co. they will buy bulk oil and just use it in any car to increase profits.

Best to find out what oil is recommended and stick to a known brand. I personally only use ELF oils.

Oh dear....

My invoice shows Txt Softec LL-01 at $19.26/l + GST!!!

thats the god stuff tho...full synthetic 5 w 30(or is it 10 w 30?good protection in all temps.

Use only a full synthetic in an m/s54 series engine. Any of the high grade oils will do. It is important to have your filter replaced on service however. Its a good time to check power steering / belts / aircon and bushes and other misc steering system stuff. Keeps the car feeling like new.

thats the god stuff tho...full synthetic 5 w 30(or is it 10 w 30?good protection in all temps.

I have no idea. I hadn't had to pay for service for awhile :-) So wasn't paying any attention. Must ask Vicki or Jeff next time.

The improvement is immediate and noticeable though.

its an E46 thoe, still the same deal? ground No.7 point?

It depends,

This applies to earlier e46 models. eg. 99-00 with OBCI.

1. Locate the 20-PIN DLC Connector. It is located under the hood, passenger side empty compartment.

It looks like this.

Posted Image

http://photos.e46fanatics.com/data/500/17445dlcpins.jpg

2. Turn the key to position 2. key position before the engine start.

3. For OIL RESET, just ground PIN 7 and PIN 19 for 3 seconds.

4. For ENGINE SERVICE light, ground PIN 7 and PIN 19 for 9 seconds.

If the E46 was produced after 09/1999 then you need to do:

After Mid-2000: You should not have the 20-pin DLC connector. You only need to hold the left odometer reset button while turning the key to position 1 (Accessory). Keep holding the button for 5 or so seconds until any of the following shows in the display: OIL SERVICE or INSPECTION with RESET or RE. Release the button and press it again for another 5 or so seconds until RESET or RE flash. While the display flashes, press the button one more time briefly. If done correctly, END SIA should show up for a few seconds. All done.