Sign in to follow this  
lidistick

Making your atuomatic E36 faster

Found this out not too long ago while fiddling around trying to fit the M-sport steering wheel to my car.

1) Disconnect battery

2) turn the car on

3) reconnect battery

Drive the car the way you drive it.

Basically you wipe out the previous learnt settings of the autobox. Car just snaps moving forward. No downside yet aside from reprogramming the stereo.

May work with other cars...... especially 2nd hand cars driven by old people :D

Cheers.

dunno what it is but sure as hell made a difference in mine.

Is it an ECU thing?

Economy mode drives like the previous Sport mode.

Sport mode well .......... has stayed the same.

far out, wonder if that'll make a difference to mine. its pretty sluggish unless you put your foot flat :lol:

will try that out when it gets back from the mechanics.... airflow meter and crankshaft position sensor are poo poo'd :(

Edited by chimera

far out, wonder if that'll make a difference to mine. its pretty sluggish unless you put your foot flat :lol:

will try that out when it gets back from the mechanics.... :(

Will be interested to hear another lot of results.

If the Auto ecu does have a memory this would only work if you do it,then drive it hard quite a bit?

If the Auto ecu does have a memory this would only work if you do it,then drive it hard quite a bit?

if it has a memory. i would have thought this would be true for the injection system, but the gearbox??? weird.

No harm trying right?

My car was driving by some old Japanese businessman. He did 74K kms in 10 years and car was serviced every 5000kms. It was soooo sluggish like the engine was brand new unless you had foot to the floor or in sports mode. Its now feeling much nicer after a solid thrash. The airbag didn't fit but my car has woken up from slumber :)

No harm trying right?

My car was driving by some old Japanese businessman. He did 74K kms in 10 years and car was serviced every 5000kms. It was soooo sluggish like the engine was brand new unless you had foot to the floor or in sports mode. Its now feeling much nicer after a solid thrash. The airbag didn't fit but my car has woken up from slumber :)

was bored studying so just took a break and played around with this. and surprisingly it has made some difference, after a quick thrash, first gear jerk seams to have disappeared and is a bit smoother.

Have you been reading a certain American forum I know of had something very similar will say no more,just see what happens on here lol

^ No I didn't.

Yuen and I pulled off the steering wheel to fit the M-tech one Andrew was selling. It didn't fit but the car was MOVING after that. Sorta by accident.

Yeah glad some benefit came out of removing the wheel and putting it back on! :D Going to have to feel the newfound response sometime.

Read some stuff from an overseas forum (cant remember the link but may be able to track it down) saying that the E36 Jatco box does indeed have some sort of memory in the gearbox similar to the fuzzi logic used by mitsi but better. The way to fix issues with the box is by clearing the autobox computer memory (disconnecting the battery). The other thing it said was the Jatco box requires a different trans fluid than the others and it must not be mixed!

All info is third hand here but may be useful to you.

I tried this yesterday.... my first gear jerk is still there, but I did notice the gearbox is happier to kick down than it was beforehand and it's got a bit more go around town.

On the bad side, I forgot to write down my stereo settings and spent the next hour re-programming it!

dunno what it is but sure as hell made a difference in mine.

Is it an ECU thing?

Economy mode drives like the previous Sport mode.

Sport mode well .......... has stayed the same.

Is there any point in doing it then? If it ain't no better than sports mode?

its called an adaptive shift. should aslo work if you jus take your car for a good thrashing every now and then

i just tried it, I don't think it made a huge difference although it does feel a little more responsive instantly off the mark. still need more power!!!