Sign in to follow this  
bravo

e39 540i - how much? What to look for?

I have tripped over a 199? (1997 I think) 540i in totally unmolested condition - stock standard AFAIK for what appears to me to be a very very reasonable price. I am yet to drive it, but has leather interior, around 160kms, auto with steptronic, clear indicators and side repeaters, BMW alloys, etc.

Looks exactly like this:

Posted Image

Do the clear rear and side indicators mean its a 2001??? To be honest I didn't look at the year.

Assuming there are no faults with it, what should I be paying?

What should I be looking for as I am entirely new to e39's.

Cheers.

Edited by bravo

Are you sure it has the one piece front headlights (like the one in the photo) or just aftermarket clears.

Is it an import? What colour combination?

Hey bravo, if the car was bought new with the 'Angel Eyes' headlights and the CELIS tails, then it's a 2001. The E39 is a very nice car but can have its share of electrical problems which can cost a lot. The ABS module crapping out is one. I've also read that the 540 cooling system can have problems and cost quite a bit. A mechanical warranty would be good for the electrical stuff - otherwise I'd make sure there's full service history.

Are you sure it has the one piece front headlights (like the one in the photo) or just aftermarket clears.

Is it an import? What colour combination?

I'll find all that out when I go to drive it. I drove past it twice and finally decided to go back and see what they wanted for it. Had a 2 second look and went home. My mind must have been ticking over on the drive home as once I got there I had decided it was worth a test drive. Want to go prepared.

Anyone got an idea of a fair price range assuming it is a 1997?

BTW thanks for the advice Yuen. Has the nav screen BTW if that makes any difference.

Edited by bravo

I'll find all that out when I go to drive it. I drove past it twice and finally decisded to go back and see what they wanted for it. Had a 2 second look and went home. My mind must have been ticking over on the drive home as once I got there I had decisded it was worth a test drive. Want to go prepared.

Anyone got an idea of a fair price range assuming it is a 1997?

IMHO for a 97 with those kms, its $10k max

Bravo,

The lights and indicators take ten mins to swap over so make no assumptions about age on those. Get the VIN and check that online for a build date. The m62 is pretty much bullet proof but at 160k kms there are some things that you can expect to go wrong.

1. ICV goes at the back on the block, you will get LOTS of white smoke and a dodgy idle should that happen perhaps even stalls at the lights. Not cheap to fix as you have to take an awful lot off to get to it. Reckon on 1500 easy.

2. Rocker cover gaskets often go, couple of hundred to fix.

3. Cats, if it has them. Very expensive to fix, again poor idle, but if wont rev past 4k and stalls when you stop have a look underneath and see if they are glowing white hot !

4. Radiator expansion tank. Plastic often snaps and dribbles coolant. Not always easy to spot and the car will tell you when the coolant is low. Not expensive to replace but if you cook one of these you have a very big paperweight.

5. Suspension and brakes can take a hammering. Not as big and heavy as a 7 but the standard suspension might start to feel a little tired. Eibach springs to drop it 30mm will work wonders for both the look and handling.

6. Bolster on the drivers seat next to the door gets worn for two reason. One, the driver is a fat bast4rd and brushes it each time he gets in. Two its been used alot for short trips. These engines and exhausts really need a good blowout on a regular basis. Lots of short trips are not good for them.

7. Regardless of age the interior should be MINT. You would never know looking at mine that its 10 years old. This is the best way to tell how its been looked after IMO.

8. LED's on the dash and instrument cluster start to fade, there is a place in Auckland that can fix it but you will be without the cluster (and the car is undrivable without it) for a week. Maybe shorter if your up there.

9. It might be worth getting the gearbox oil replaced. BMW seal them for life but as we all know oil doesnt last forever and it should be a huge job for someone who knows what they are doing and can save an awful lot of grief down the line.

10. The e39 shimmy :) Worn/tired bushes, unbalanced wheels etc will give a wobble to the steering wheel at 55mph. Not always asy to track down the problem. I know people who have solved it by rotating the tyres, some who have spent months replacing everything they can think of before its gone away !

I think thats about it, the engines are superb and gearboxes last forever. You should have a serious amount of grunt on tap at all times. In steptronic you should be able to give it some welly all over the show, I can drive everywhere using only first and second its that good.

A good e39 should be all you need to have, they didnt win european car of the year for 8 years out of 9 for nothing. That includes beating two versions of the Merc !

Oh and I meant to say that IMO these cars are worth much more than 10k. The current climate is tough and Ive had a couple of mugs offer me 8k for mine, but in the end its a buyers market at the moment and there are lots of e39's around.

IMHO for a 97 with those kms, its $10k max

Would agree if it was a 525 or 528, but seeing as this is a 540, I'd say 14k to 15k for a 97 model.

Bravo,

The lights and indicators take ten mins to swap over so make no assumptions about age on those. Get the VIN and check that online for a build date. The m62 is pretty much bullet proof but at 160k kms there are some things that you can expect to go wrong.

Good stuff... One of the most informative posts I have seen on the board! I agree about the E39 being an awesome car, it's such a great cruiser. I have only driven the 523 and 528, 540 must be fast.

540 may well be worth less than other e 39s,that seems to be the way if you browse tard me...There is a link somewhere for the E39 buyers guide.If its got the full sat nav isnt it fairly late model?97 is a pretty early one.

Isnt the bad idle and smoke the PCV valve Martyn????

540 may well be worth less than other e 39s,that seems to be the way if you browse tard me...There is a link somewhere for the E39 buyers guide.If its got the full sat nav isnt it fairly late model?97 is a pretty early one.

Isnt the bad idle and smoke the PCV valve Martyn????

ICV...PCV its only one letter out !

I think the reason the 540 goes for less than an equivalent 535 is probably ignorance (no offence to anyone). A perception that a V8 will be expensive to run, repair and fill.

Yes, it will consume more petrol around town (slightly) in the bang for your bucks stake. It wins hands down.

A 1997 540 for $10k, "tell him he's dreaming!" They are worth more than that in good condition.

A 1997 540 for $10k, "tell him he's dreaming!" They are worth more than that in good condition.

Well, each to their own I guess.

Here are a few examples on TM

NZ New 540i

Dealers car, done 100km

I work in the industry, and an E39 540i import travelled 160km + is really only $14,995 retail on a yard in todays market. So take into account yard profit and reconditioning a dealer would undertake and it leaves you somewhere in the area of $10k as a buy price. Cars take a real hammering once they have passed 150km as the good mechanical breakdown insurance policies can't be put on them. That value landslides even more when they hit 200km.

I may be "low balling" but its a buyers market out there.

Did you end up driving the car Bravo? Any more info for us?

I think the reason the 540 goes for less than an equivalent 535 is probably ignorance (no offence to anyone). A perception that a V8 will be expensive to run, repair and fill.

Yes, it will consume more petrol around town (slightly) in the bang for your bucks stake. It wins hands down.

Not so much a comparison between 535 and 540 Cain more 530 or 528 E39 vs 540 e39...I think there is a perception the v8 is twice as thirsty....As i said to a guy once when talking about 535 vs 540.....who cares if the 535 does 19 and the 540 does 17 mpg....sheesh

If its got the full sat nav isnt it fairly late model?97 is a pretty early one.

Nope, I have an 1997 E39 540i with full sat nav and in full NZworking order.

Navigation was fitted from the first E39s in 1996.

The 1997 E39 navigation system can be made to work in NZ, I've done my car, and plenty of others.

PS: my 1997 E39 540i with 90,000 genuine kms and fully working NZ-band radio and navigation system, and TV, is for sale. full service history over its full life. All options and accesories that came with the car brand new are included.

Interested parties call / PM me. Car available for viewing in Auckland.

Did you end up driving the car Bravo? Any more info for us?

I'm going to tee up a driv efor tomorrow avo or saturday. Will let you all know. I just spent the last 3 hours under one of our newest members e30's. Would possibly miss that with the e39 - how much could I do myself?