Sign in to follow this  
ED1RTY

Any potential buyers be warned.

Im sure anyone here that is an E30 feind will know that this car is not a genuine motorsport.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-124819006.htm

It is a nice tidy kitted e30 nonetheless and I not saying it is a POS or anything. The wheels etc are of rarity but as the owner states it is a 'Motorsport' im 99% sure it is not.

Anyone correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers

Chris

Being South African, it probably isnt regarded as a "geniune" Motorsport because it wasnt built in Germany.

However it probably was sold as a Motorsport car in the country of origin, as it would seem most of the biggest capacity models of the range were.

Owner called me being a right wank.

Also asked me what other 'motorsports' there were.

Said not all motorsports came out with lsd, black headliner etc.

Also claimed there is a 3.3 motorsport. I LOL'D and said there is the alpina biturbo and he went all nuts.

Said he did his apprecticeship on the E30

He knows his stuff apparently.

Finally he also said that bimmersport is full of thickwits that dont know sh*t about BMW's

I ended up hanging up on him.

[/end rant]

oh yea, and one for sam...

he had no idea what a 325is evo was.

said no e30's other than m3 came with 5 stud lol

I questioned the chassis number on the vehicle to check m registry but continued to block anything i said.

Also claimed there is a 3.3 motorsport.

I'm guessing he was talking about the South African 333, a E30 with the 3.3 733 engine.

Custom build for the SA market

He had contacted me via phone few weeks back, was rather nice too me even though I scoffed at his automatic M325i.

I think it's annoying how BMW of different countries can market the cars anyway they want to get a sale. I have noticed this with 535iS's, and obviously, this guy has encounted the same issue.

Okay, but motorsport?

Or as you said before do they regard anything with a high engine capacity as a motorsport?

Okay, but motorsport?

Or as you said before do they regard anything with a high engine capacity as a motorsport?

I'm guessing that the reason the South African's built the specials like the 333, the V8 Vauxhall Firenza, and the V8 Capri's and Sierra's was generally to comply with their local race regulations, so if that doesnt get a car classed as Motorsport , I'm not too sure what would.

Okay point taken.

So it IS a motorsport?

Learn something new everyday ;)

I think it's annoying how BMW of different countries can market the cars anyway they want to get a sale. I have noticed this with 535iS's, and obviously, this guy has encounted the same issue.

I assume you are talking about the NZ 535 manual E34. The model designation iS was only used as marketing term in NZ to sell the HD12, as a model it doesnt exist.

Here is a part of an email sent to me regarding my old HD12 from BMW NZ

"Your car was original purchased through the "tourist delivery" scheme by Mr G Smith of Palmerston North on 05/04/1990. The model designation of "S" was a NZ marketing term only, as the car was assembled as an ordinary 535i, with various added options including M-Technic suspension, seats, and sports kit.

There are no factory modifications to the engine. "

Ah ya OK. Even though it is classed as a "S" could therefore even mean that it only has sports kit and seats for example, and cut corners on the suspension???

Ah ya OK. Even though it is classed as a "S" could therefore even mean that it only has sports kit and seats for example, and cut corners on the suspension???

While the English cars seem pretty random on what you got if you brought an E34 M535i, iS or iSE, I suspect that the NZ cars were pretty much spec'd with the manual transmission, climate air, bodykit, sports seats, M-Tech suspension and the "big" TRX metric wheel setup, trinket options like the ski-bag, heated seats, rear blinds etc seemed to be the only options that the clients order specifically for the car.

After all you were spending around $150K on a manual sports sedan, why would you not order it with the big wheels and the sports suspension, sort of like buying a HSV Clubsport, and deleting the HSV suspension and replacing it with a standard Commodore V6 suspension setup....just seems dumb to me.

They didnt cut corner most if not all of these cars have the Mtech suspension.

I beleive the real reason for the number of these cars is BMW NZ knew that the M5 was going to be as Rare as rocking horse :(*&^.So they created a poor mans M5 .They look very very similar to the genuine article

I guess this all really depends on what ya wanna classify as a motorsport, like a few people have said. Its just like the arguement on what is a genuine Alpina, because there are a lot of cars with all the Alpina stuff put on them ( not just a few badges and stuff, but the engine work and stuff as well ) but never went to Alpina.

Consider my car for instances, it has aftermarket shocks and suspension etc, its now manual, but it isn't leather, has a few M stripes down the side ( which were genuine bmw decals. ) And the previous owner shoved a few M badges on it. It may as well be a Motorsport, it didnt come out as one originally, but it is just as good as one, except a few things such as leather seats etc. ( In saying that i wouldn't try and sell it for how much a Motorsports go for )

It all comes down to how you look at it. Are you like "It didnt come out of the factory as a Motorsport, so it isnt one" or are you "It didnt come out of the factory as one, but its been modified to be like one, so it may as well be considered one."

I kinda reckon any bmw that ya wanna call a motorsport can be called a motorsport ( not a genuine one tho. ) My mates got a 316i which is now 1.8L and nearly 350hp ( turbo... ), it has a motorsport badge on it, and brembo brakes etc, its not a "BMW Motorsport" but it may as well be considered a motorsport BMW considering it would blow the doors off any genuine motorsport anyway =P

All up ta how ya look at it.

Good on you for doing what you can to improve your rides, but, there's not much point in doing the M impersonation with a badge on the grill or whatever. You can put f/glass wings on an E30, but you'll never make it an M3 if it wasn't born as one, regardless of how quick it goes. :rolleyes: History is what makes a good car, that's why we all want one. ^_^

motorsport is only what it came out the factory with...i would have a hard time believing that car is a MS without an LSD and black headliner. and being auto. i have heard of it before being something special, but by conventional definition its not what we would consider a motorsport.

anyway is it just me, or are there so many tossers on trademe? ive been winding up some guy who keeps emailing me about my car

I couldn't agree more with your sentiments here mark247. In NZ when the F/L E30 was released there was a "M-Technic Sport package" available for the 320i and 325i. Each package was different but basically consisted of leather sports seats, revised suspension, body kit, green tinted glass, leather wheel, satin chrome finish etc. This information comes from the original sales brochures (of which I have for all E30 models) As far as I am aware these options could also be ordered separately. As for other countries who knows.

Edited by ducatiss

You can put f/glass wings on an E30, but you'll never make it an M3 if it wasn't born as one, regardless of how quick it goes. :rolleyes: History is what makes a good car, that's why we all want one. ^_^

Yea it aint a M3, its a motorsport. A E30 M3 is totally different to a M325i.

M3 = four cylinder 2.3L with the flared guards etc.

M325i = Standard M20B25 block, fancy suspension, and LSD, etc in a normal e30 coupe body.

In saying that, if ya added some fancy springs, and tinkered with the engine of ya e30, why not slap a motorsport badge on it? It looks cool, and its more 'motorsporty.' I have no problem with that.

Edited by Mark247

Yea it aint a M3, its a motorsport. A E30 M3 is totally different to a M325i.

M3 = four cylinder 2.3L with the flared guards etc.

M325i = Standard M20B25 block, fancy suspension, and LSD, etc in a normal e30 coupe body.

In saying that, if ya added some fancy springs, and tinkered with the engine of ya e30, why not slap a motorsport badge on it? It looks cool, and its more 'motorsporty.' I have no problem with that.

You could chuck a prancing horse on it if you wanted, very motorsporty. :D Edited by Silver Fox

You could chuck a prancing horse on it if you wanted, very motorsporty. :D

Lol, you know what i mean, i wouldnt really call a 318 auto with some basket weaves on it a motorsport, but with in reason, i dont have a problem people calling there cars motorsports.

318 auto? That hurts. :angry:

post-1118-1193648664_thumb.jpg

OK, so it's not auto, but more motorsporty than most?

Edited by Silver Fox

318 auto? That hurts. :angry:

oh sheet, sorry didnt realise! ( seriosuly wasnt trying to take the piss ) haha crack up. You know what i mean tho :P