Sign in to follow this  
Guest Simon*

MP3 player advice

Guest 540Si

Hey all

I want an MP3 player with kit for the car - at least 8GB pref more than 20 but don't need to spend a fortune.

Personally I'm not sold on the ipod hype and can't stand itunes taking over my computer, would definitely prefer a drag and drop setup.

Quite like the idea of video, but it's not a show stopper (although it would have to play divx, xvid etc if I went video - rules out ipod again) Almost bought a Creative Zen Vision once

And who has theirs wired vs radio tuner type vs the old cassette adaptor?

Pros and cons, advice and any thoughts would be appreciated.

I have my ipod connected to my ipod compatible headunit. I chose this route because:

a) I didn't want to have to drill holes in my console to mount the ipod (I control the ipod from the headunit while the ipod sits neatly in the glovebox)

b ) sound quality is WAAAY better than a cassette adapter or wireless FM radio tuner. Even plugging an mp3 player into your headunit using an RCA cable reduces sound quality because the sound travels through the player's headphone pre-amp first.

Simply put, because ipod is so popular, there are more options available for connecting it to your car stereo. If you're adverse to getting an ipod because of itunes there are programs out there that allow you to use Windows Media Player or another music library app instead.

Unfortunately using another brand of mp3 player will mean the dash-mount option is probably the only route, but someone may know otherwise.

Hope this helps.

Edited by gannetboy

Hey dude,

just get a good MP3 player with the option of using a flash card.There are quiet a few good ones around, the best i've seen so far is made by Alpine & the flash card just pops into the head. I'm using one made by Daytona VDO & its so damn easy man, just dragging music onto a 2GB card & cruise then a add a few more albums a few days later. B)

Only drawback is that it does not act like an MP3, if I make folders on it, I cannot view it, just the music on the card itself.

Other than that it's quiet cool & convenient, if i'm at a mates place & he has some music I like I can drag it over from his PC using my lil flash card bridge device, then cruise home listening to it :)

I don't use any cd's or worry bout them being scratched.

Ahh yeah, make sure the deck has more than one AUX input & RCA outputs, thats if you are really into your sounds then you will need the xtras.

sweet bro, goodluck :thumb:

I have an ipod that plugs, directly into my Sony Headunit (via an ipod connector cord that runs into my glovebox). It is bloody good, and the ipod is always out of sight in the glovebox.

I am an ipod fan, and don't think that they can be beaten. Also when we were recently overseas, I loaded it up with movies, and we could watch them on the hotel TV, worked really well.

Cheers

Grant

I have an ipod nano, i didnt initially buy it, but after using a samsung, the scroll wheel owns, so much easier to use! And simple. Plugs into my factory headunit

Ipod's are the typical modern must have, but control what you can and can't do with them. One of my pet hates is being told what I can and can't listen to and watch, and Sony and Ipod are the two worst at this IMO. I have Creative players and enjoy being able to drag mp3's across and play what I want. I plug mine into my car stereo through a 3.5mm std plug and get good quality sound and just control it thru the player. I would recomend a good Mp3 player over an ipod every time for value and convenience.

Guest 540Si

Hey guys

Thanks for all your input. I'm still leaning away from ipod simply because, like Foxy, i'd prefer to drag and drop files - and plug it into someone else's hoard of music and leech out what i want.

I do admit though that there are heaps more accessories and everything is "i-ified" these days so I might be tempted by a nano if it's cheap enough - with the new ugly ones out I might look into a cheap Gen2

Cheers!

Mini player - try an iRiver Clix

Or look at the Archos range. They play Divx/Xvid natively.

Guest 540Si

Mini player - try an iRiver Clix

Or look at the Archos range. They play Divx/Xvid natively.

Cheers

Still looking, thinking