Sign in to follow this  
Carl

Mystery Illness

I've been struck down with some weird illness, got no idea what it is and neither did my doc, had a blood test this morning but just waiting for the results now.

I'm like the third person to have this independently of other people that I know - unless it has like a very long incubation period...

Basically starts with a mildly sore throat and headache then whamo you get hit by a bus and don't have enough energy to even move around. Body is weak like a flu virus but no congestion, no coughing, and no airways or sinuses running amok.

Heard today there's a whole office, I think it's Kiwibank (wgtn) that's been hit by it. Anyone got any idea what it is or had it recently???

E: Serious topic

Edited by Mr. Pink

My step Mum seems to have similiar to you. Hope I don't get it with NCEA exams coming up :o

My step Mum seems to have similiar to you. Hope I don't get it with NCEA exams coming up :o

Just get compasionate consideration and they'll pass ya ;P

But yeah, I have the similar symptoms atm, but no bus hitting...

Just get compasionate consideration and they'll pass ya ;P

Doesn't look good when you've failed most of the practice externals during the year though.

I've been struck down with some weird illness, got no idea what it is and neither did my doc, had a blood test this morning but just waiting for the results now.

I'm like the third person to have this independently of other people that I know - unless it has like a very long incubation period...

Basically starts with a mildly sore throat and headache then whamo you get hit by a bus and don't have enough energy to even move around. Body is weak like a flu virus but no congestion, no coughing, and no airways or sinuses running amok.

Heard today there's a whole office, I think it's Kiwibank (wgtn) that's been hit by it. Anyone got any idea what it is or had it recently???

Sounds like a classic case of Glandular fever - enjoy it for the rest of your life (seriously). Share any drinks or hook up with any of your co-workers?

I still get those symptoms even though I had it years ago.

It can be tested for with throat swaps/blood tests - I'm sure you doctor will work it out.

Guest 540Si

If it's glandular fever (what the yanks call "Mono" if you're googling), and I agree with Andrew that it def sounds like it. Lays you pretty low at the time, and for reasonably long periods but it's not all doom and gloom.

I had it too - peaked when I was about 17, had symptoms a few times for a couple years after that but you will well and truly grow out of it.

I'm feeling better today, seems random for it to hit Sunday night and be gone by Thursday. Doc said there was only a removte possibility that it was glandular fever, but it's just that quite a few others have been hit by it as well and no one is the wiser to what it is or how it spreads...very odd

Guest Ken

No - Only me!

Definately NOT GF. More likely to fit into the general 'flu'/cold virus category of which there are 1000s of variants. Generally copious quantities of Panadol and (non alcoholic) fluid is the best form of treatment. The level of symptomatic severity will, in general, be proportionate to your overall well-being and immunity levels etc.

I'm down in WTN next week so maybe we can compare notes haaahahaha...

Ken.

copious quantities of Panadol and (non alcoholic) fluid is the best form of treatment.

i always found strong spirits clear up most colds/flus and that kind of thing, beer makes it worse.

whiskey i found the best, just burns all thoes little bugs, youll feel heaps better after the hang over subsides :rolleyes:

Sounds like a classic case of Glandular fever - enjoy it for the rest of your life (seriously). Share any drinks or hook up with any of your co-workers?

I still get those symptoms even though I had it years ago.

It can be tested for with throat swaps/blood tests - I'm sure you doctor will work it out.

Yeah - that could be a starter. Glandular bloody fever - had this some years ago - screwed me up for months. Doctor tested liver function, which was impaired, and then did some other tests to confirm it. If I get over stressed it comes back.

It also sounds alittle similar to what I got 2 weeks ago in the Gold Coast. Mild sore throat, and some really bad coughing - and feeling dizzy after coughing to the point of almost blacking out, and feeling really really ill. I was working there not playing unfortunately. The bad news is i still have it, and it's developed into a really bad chest infection, but still without any running nose. My wife now has it too. The cough is so bad my work mates all pleaded with me to go home. So I'm working from home tomorrow and hoping it clear up.

Lemsip max with 1000mg of Parcetamol, and other stuff helps. I't wots keeping me going at the moment.

If it's glandular fever (what the yanks call "Mono" if you're googling), and I agree with Andrew that it def sounds like it. Lays you pretty low at the time, and for reasonably long periods but it's not all doom and gloom.

I had it too - peaked when I was about 17, had symptoms a few times for a couple years after that but you will well and truly grow out of it.

It's a little harder to shake off the older you are.

Bloody green monsters under bridges <_<

Edited by Mr. Pink

Heh hehh hehh

Nah get better buddy, I'm feeling less than average at the momment as well but the weekends activities most likely didn't help so I'm not going to complain!

Yeah mate,

Thursday morning 4.30, fever work through day. bed at 5pm and didn't get out till sunday to go to doc.

Now thursday again... feeling much better.

Started with sore throat, went to head, later to chest, biggest booger i've ever produced, like semi hard silicon. coughing blood, head to doctor again. anti-viral pills + panadiene + water + sleep more.

Suck.

Back to work tomorrow.

Gay.

Killed by death.

Had same thing 2 years ago nearly exactly, had glandular fever (like an arty 105 direct hit up the arse) which f**ked me for a month. I feel like its repercussions from that.

I don't care what your momma told you boy!

Rock and roll is the only religion to never let you down!

Alright Lemmy