Sign in to follow this  
Andrew

BMW misses profit expectations, shares fall sharply

Posted Image

The world’s largest premium automaker, BMW, reported that its third-quarter pretax profit fell short of expectations, leading to shares falling sharply.

Before tax earnings rose 6.3 percent to 765 million euros ($1.11 billion), missing the average estimate of 913 million euros from a Reuters poll of analysts. Shares of BMW fell more than 4 percent, performing worst than other European automakers.

“The main reason for the weaker than expected result appears to be found in the ‘Other & Consolidation’ line. This is usually heavily impacted by one-offs and is very difficult to estimate,” Tim Schuldt told Reuters.

Investors have been criticizing BMW CEO Reithofer’s vision as unambitious, despite his recent plans to increase automobile retail to 1.8 million units by 2012. Speaking to the press, Reithofer recently said, “As far as retail volume is concerned, we intend not only to remain the world’s leading premium provider in the automotive industry. By 2020, we want to lead all of the segments in which we are active,” said Reithofer.

Reithofer said that BMW’s main goal is to increase automobile retail to more than two million units by 2020.

The world’s largest premium automaker, BMW...

I thought VAG was the biggest?

I see Audi expect to outsell them in NZ this year for the first time.

I see Audi expect to outsell them in NZ this year for the first time.

I can't see why... I think its the perception that Audi's represent uber-cool understatement and are the perfect accessory for the innercity apartment dweller.

They do make some great cars, especially the RS range. But a standard A3, 4 or 6 is really just a specced up VW. Why buy an A4 when you can get a better spec'd Passat for less? However, following that... why buy a Passat when you can get a better spec'd Skoda Octavia for less? Hmmm...

But, as a very wise man once said to me, "Audi's are very nice. However, so is tea and crumpets."

EDIT - I seem to be offending people today... No offence is intended for Audi owners :unsure:

Edited by JJS

I can't see why... I think its the perception that Audi's represent uber-cool understatement and are the perfect accessory for the innercity apartment dweller.

They do make some great cars, especially the RS range. But a standard A3, 4 or 6 is really just a specced up VW. Why buy an A4 when you can get a better spec'd Passat for less? However, following that... why buy a Passat when you can get a better spec'd Skoda Octavia for less? Hmmm...

But, as a very wise man once said to me, "Audi's are very nice. However, so is tea and crumpets."

EDIT - I seem to be offending people today... No offence is intended for Audi owners :unsure:

When was the last time you heard a BMW advertisement? I certainly cant remember when...The last time Audi had a ad was on Monday on Newstalk ZB with the host talking about how good Audi is and sh*t like that...

Sure New Zealand is not a very big market, but anything big is due to the build up of small things...

Guest 540Si

Crockett you are a bad bastard aren't you!! Bagging everything and managing to piss off everyone lol!

Those Skoda Octavia RS jobs are quite hot - have to agree with you there.

Keep up the good work

Si

my plan is finally coming together..

muhahaha!