Sign in to follow this  
savvi

e30 instrument cluster help

hi , my rpm an economy was first to stop workn about 2 weeks ago but now my water temp has stopped workn to, this is the one you really need 4 peace of mind, im guessing its the batteries that have made this happen i still have speedo an fuel , cars done 312,000ks

what type of batteries do i need {genuine bmw ones } is there a particular name for the batteries

or is it related to another problem that causes this,

any help appreciated ,

Edited by E30 bandit

yeh sometimes its a b**ch to get a responce around here. the first thing i would check would be my fuses. providing they are ok then you need to look a little deeper. my coolant temp sometimes didnt work but it was only an intermitant thing. if your not to mechanicaly minded get a garage to check it out. the coolant temp circuit is as simple as they come and shouldnt take a garage more than 30 min to find the fault providing the garage know what they are doing. the rpm one could be slightly more complicated. and the economy is linked to the rpm. but the first place i would look would be the fuses. failing that start testing circuits

what type of batteries do i need {genuine bmw ones } is there a particular name for the batteries

or is it related to another problem that causes this,

any help appreciated ,

Any AA Ni-Cads will do, the brand doesn't matter. Often replacing them will fix a multitude of instrument related problems, but sometimes the circuit board they are attached to will have to be replaced as well. I have plenty of spare S.I. boards if it turns out that you need one.

It will most likely be that the cluster board has stuffed out. My original cluster stuffed out, it had dead batteries so my service lights couldnt reset, and my temp gauge was always not working, or showing over heatings, or just flying around the place. I fiddled with it for ages trying to get it going but it would always just stop working again. Best thing to do would be go to a wreckers and get another gauge cluster, i got mine for $10, and shoved it in myself which takes about 30 minutes if ya dont know what ya doing and like 10 if you have done it before. If the actual speedo isnt broken, swap it around in the new cluster so you can keep your original odometer reading. Then it should be all fixed.

just swap the whole unit out much easier , i have some cheap , swap the speedo gauge over into the new unit to keep the millage

Make sure you match your cluster with the one you are getting, there are two makes, VDO and Moto Meter. And also between them there are slightly different types with different lights for cars with ABS and fog lights and stuff like that. Best thing to do is go to a wrecker and look through a heap ( like i did ) and find one that is exactly the same as yours, make it look a lot neater.

thanks 4 the response guys much appreciated, gona get some new batteries and have a go in the wekend and hope thats all that is needed.

brent hartge will keep u in mind if its more than just the batteries, mines vdo, non abs,

thanks

thanks 4 the response guys much appreciated, gona get some new batteries and have a go in the wekend and hope thats all that is needed.

brent hartge will keep u in mind if its more than just the batteries, mines vdo, non abs,

thanks

You will need a soldering iron to do put the batteries in. Also, i dont think the batteries have anything to do with the temp gauge so i doubt that will fix all your problems. Worth a try tho if ya got some free time. If you buy a second hand cluster you will probably find the batteries in it are still all good anyway.

If you buy a second hand cluster you will probably find the batteries in it are still all good anyway.

Ni-Cads have a finite lifespan, if you fit a second hand cluster or S.I. board the Ni-Cads in it are probably on their last legs too, fit new ones during the swap over and save yourself the hassle of having to pull the cluster out again.

Ni-Cads have a finite lifespan, if you fit a second hand cluster or S.I. board the Ni-Cads in it are probably on their last legs too, fit new ones during the swap over and save yourself the hassle of having to pull the cluster out again.

ok thanks ill try the batteries first an see how that goes , got a soldering iron to so hopefully should work out ok

cheers for advice guys

ok thanks ill try the batteries first an see how that goes , got a soldering iron to so hopefully should work out ok

cheers for advice guys

Let us know if the batteries fix the temp gauge, I will be interested if they do.

Oh, and also, do your service lights work? Working means you can actually reset them and turn them off. Because if you can turn them off with the tool in the diagnostic plug then your batteries arent dead. If they are always on and you cant reset them, that means your batteries are fried. Usually what happens is the batteries get old and leak, and the acid leaks onto the board and that kill the gauges....

Let us know if the batteries fix the temp gauge, I will be interested if they do.

i changed batteries 2 day and it fixed the temp gauge, but it didnt fix the rpm problem it now jumps intermintanetly from 2 to 4 thou and bak so im gona track down a cluster in chch, or get one off Brenthartge an swap the rpm ova