Sign in to follow this  
charles28

Poor FM reception - E36 BMW

Since installing an aftermarket headunit into my E36 the radio reception has been pretty bad.

From what I can tell the back window heater is the aerial.. its almost like it needs some kind of signal booster..

When i disconnected the factory headunit there was a thin wire connecting to the back of the headunit that was labelled 'AMP'. I am thinking this is something to do with powering the factory signal booster, however if this is the case, where can i connect it to? could I wire it upto the 12v from the headunit perhaps? surely someone else has had this problem.

Thanks

No problems using aftermarket headunits. You are right - the aerial is a surface one in the rear windshield. The only aerial wire I plugged in on any aftermarket headunit was the aerial plug from the old headunit, and everything works perfectly.

there is a skiny white wire that needs to conected to your blue electric aerial output wire to send 12volts to the booster unit in the left rear c pillar

there is a skiny white wire that needs to conected to your blue electric aerial output wire to send 12volts to the booster unit in the left rear c pillar

i was going to type in prety much what he said. Edited by btccm3