Sign in to follow this  
SandMan

Parts dilemma for E30

OK, here's my 2 cents worth (should be 10c as the old copper ones aren't available) :o

I've acquired a E30 320i (91), it needs a bit of work, so I'm slowing adding bits and pieces

The problem is when I try and buy extra things like a bonnet, strut, manuel gearbox or headlight etc..

I get different prices quoted to me.

Mostly I think that they are too expensive :wacko:

But the sellers always tell me that it's is a good price.

Example-1: I have been told that to buy a 2.7L (stroker) engine will set me back between $800 to $1200,

after spending a couple of hours on the internet last week I managed to purchase one (still running) for $100. WTF? :blink:

Example-2: My front seats are stuffed (old grey cloth), have been told that a replacements cloth pair would be around the $190 mark. I then purchased a pair of genuine black leather seats for $80 on trademe. :blink:

Example-3: I need a manuel gearbox (260) for my conversion, again I've been told the current price is $1200 for a complete kit. so again this week I found a 260 gearbox and kit for $300!! :blink:

I don't know if I'm lucky or are some people just asking too much for their spares?.. I releaise that "they"

need to make a living but who sets the prices? :wub:

I see on TM that there are a number of members here selling parts, but they just don't sell at the prices they are asking. They just keep re-listing the items, wouldn't that mean that they are asking too much and would be better off to list at a more realistic value? <_<

Just my thoughts

Is there anyone else suffering also from this dilemma? :wacko:

dude its a bmw they arent cheap! but parts are only worth what you want to pay for them, in these cases i think youve been lucky. 100 bucks for a 2.7 seems good but who knows what state or what power its putting out.

Still expect to pay a bit though, seems youve had a good run

Edited by Chris C

dude its a bmw they arent cheap! but parts are only worth what you want to pay for them, in these cases i think youve been lucky. 100 bucks for a 2.7 seems good but who knows what state or what power its putting out.

Still expect to pay a bit though, seems youve had a good run

Hmm I think you are right, just lucky. On the other hand I picked up a a guard and a bonnet in excellent condition from an Bimmersport member (Brent), very pleased with the condition and the price, so it's not all bad. :D

Hmm I think you are right, just lucky. On the other hand I picked up a a guard and a bonnet in excellent condition from an Bimmersport member (Brent), very pleased with the condition and the price, so it's not all bad. :D

And if you are getting prices from wreckers they are always going to want an arm and a leg for parts compared to someone off trademe etc thats just tryna flick unwanted parts off or get a little extra cash for xmas lol

All depends on how far you dig and being at the right place, right time.

All above prices are about right, considering previous sales... and all of those prices are at what people are prepared to pay.

For example, I sell ALL exterior panels at $80ea (bonnet or guard or boot etc)...

However, someone who doesn't want their bonnet anymore may sell for $10...

So is $300 for a 260 conv. kit. $300-500 for box only, $600-800 for full conv. kit. Used to be cheaper to go for a 240, but the race series killed that.

I boutght a 240 kit for going rate, found a 260 one for the smae price, so bought it and flicked off the 240. 12 months later 240's went up in price by 50%. Thems the breaks.

I would happily pay $1200 for a 2.7l stroker in mint condition fully serviced and low miles. Unless you get lucky, a $100 motor is probaly false economy.

It sounds to me like youve just gotten incredibly lucky recently. None of the prices youve stated are out of the ordinary but that depends on whether were talking about the same thing or not.

A full 2.7 would easily set you back 1200, so Id be interested to know what youve picked up for 100.

I dont know about cloth seats but a two full sets of leather have sold for 700 and 1200 recently but were talking sports leather with door cards in immaculate condition for that price. If youve just picked up a pair of basic leather then thats probably because they arent really in demand.

As for the gearbox, a full 260 in decent nick with all the trimmings needed for the conversion will easily be 650+

Ive picked up the odd bargain from people who have no idea what theyve had, but there are plenty of people who do know what they have and are willing to hold out until someone buys it.

Just because the auction hasnt found a buyer doesnt mean it wont eventually.

Was it $100 for a Questionable shortblock or $100 for a going motor?

Kind`a raises doubts about some of the other `bargin buys`

Ray

HELLBM

Thanks for the great feedback guys, but I think Ray has in a nutshell, how good are the parts you are getting? If you get an anchor motor for $100, then that's an expensive anchor.. and you have no comeback either.

SM.

P.S everything I've brought from Ray has been at a great price and has worked as required,

which means I will be buying all my future spares from him. :D