Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

Power loss and other

hey guys,

i should have stuck with bmws, but sadly im restoring my e30's, to resonable conditions atm

so in the mean time i have purchased a toyota levin gt apex, cause ive always had a thing for 4 ages.

any how, it only just started doing this, and have no idea what it is, i just put a pod filter on it, and that could have some thing to do with it, but hardly doubt it.

Right, so when i turn the air con on, the car looses a lot of power, i dont think this is normal. because it used to run fine with a/c on, but now it feels like it is dragging its sorry ass up a hill. looses all its top end power.

Also, when i have a/c on, in idle. there is a serious vibration/noise coming from under the bonet, i have tried to narrow down where it is coming from, and i think its from behind the injectors.

some one mentioned some thing to do with pulleys, but i dont know any thing

any help ??

how bout from that botanymotorworx guy that never sleeps ? lol

I really have no idea.... the pod filter shouldnt have caused a problem

However, I would take the AC belt off and see if the problem is still there

The AC pump could be giving issues

If it is still playing up with no AC drive belt, I would then get it scanned..... go to Toyota

Live data load & kg/air readings may be up the sh*t and will not always trigger the engine check light

If the DME is getting a signal, even tho it is out of calibration, it will not trigger a fault code because it is still working

Air mass sensor faults will normally only come up with a fault code if its not working or if mixture has reached lower or upper limits, it will trigger an oxy sensor fault and/or fuel trim limit has been reached fault code

Air mass sensors are known to fail sometimes when disturbed...especially on Audi's & VW's

Thats why I always advise guys fitting pod filters to make sure they are firmly mounted

Alot of pod filters have flimsy mount brackets. Unlike air flow meters ( vane type ) air mass sensors ( hot wire ) dont like vibration.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Glenn

Edited by botanymotorworx

my pod filter aint mounted,

cause its pretty stirdy as it is

but that might be a thought,

try and secure it a bit more

then see what happens,

haha might have to come up to auckland and get it fixed

tauranga has no clue all the time !

well ac does usualy drain quite alot of power. so the power loss with the ac on should be expected. with the vibration if it only does it when the ac is on then i would be looking at the ac pump also what is the idle speed when its vibrating as a low idle speed can cause the engine to shudder.

just be warned when you fit a pod filter to a injected car expect somthing to go up the shitter. as even if you have a air flow meter or a map sensor it doesnt always detect the extra airflow caused by the pod filter