Sign in to follow this  
nze30m3

What would it look like?

Hi there. Im keen on getting some H&R springs for my 325 e30.

I spoke to Keith today and he has the 35-40mm lowering ones in stock.

The part i hate about the fatory setup is the stance and how high the front stands compared to back.

Im sure there are members out there with this setup - can you guys please post some pics so i can get some visual input of how it would look on the car.

Dont know if this will make a difference, but i plan on putting on some 17's in the future... standard 15 basket weavse at the mo...

thanks heaps...

I have the same springs. Looks perfect, until you put anything in the boot.

Handles great but I agree with you abut the rear and front not quite being right. I'm thinking about rebuilding my sub box lighter for this very reason.

Also mine has a fair bit of rear squat on acceleration. I partially blame worn shocks though.

But like I said, empty boot = perfect on the H&R's.

Would be interested to hear Keith's take on my comments??

Cheers.

Pic: Car loks flat, and has sub box in the boot. Would prefer tiniest bit of rake, mainly so that it wouldn't sack out quite so much in the rear with anything else in the boot or rear seat passengers. Posted Image

Edited by bravo

What rear spring pads do you have in Graham?

stock 325 ones I guess. I know there are about 3 different thickness ones - I think the ones I have are the middle thickness. I will measure next time the wheels are off.

stock 325 ones I guess. I know there are about 3 different thickness ones - I think the ones I have are the middle thickness. I will measure next time the wheels are off.

It's a bit of a tricky one really, certainly running a shock with valving to suit would help as we'll as using the thicker pads, the other thing you can do is wrap the top and bottom of the rear spring in plastic tube or clear fuel line which will raise the car by another 5mm-8mm reason for this is the rear of the E30 like other 3 series uses a lever action system so in essence sometimes the rear spring is actually stiffer than the front, so if you add 2mm by using a thicker pad it equates to about 4mm at the axle on the rear, so when they design a spring for the rear they take into account what is known as a motion rate which depends on the design of the car as to how much percentage the spring is increased by from standard, in Germany when the spring is designed they have to fit it to the said vehicle and pass a TUV test in which they have to retain shock travel at the same amount of load as if the original springs were fitted to the vehicle, which includes full fuel load and they take into account luggage and passenger weight otherwise they can't be sold in Germany, with this TUV test many of the manufacturers allow you to lower brand new vehicles without affecting mechanical warranties.

If you are running Bilstein or Koni shocks you can get them revalved (Bump/Rebound), so that the shock characteristics are changed to suit your driving style or how much load you carry etc.

Thanks Keith. I am planning on having the Bilsteins rebuilt next year after the christmas wallet burn.

I like the plastic tubing idea - very kiwi no.8 wire.

You should see the car today. Its loaded to the brim with beer - 10 doz in the front seat, 8 in the back and 4 in the boot - best way to sack out your e30 I say.

Thanks Keith. I am planning on having the Bilsteins rebuilt next year after the christmas wallet burn.

I like the plastic tubing idea - very kiwi no.8 wire.

You should see the car today. Its loaded to the brim with beer - 10 doz in the front seat, 8 in the back and 4 in the boot - best way to sack out your e30 I say.

If you wan't to make your car higher you could drop all the beer off to my place, although after drinking it i'd look like this :wacko: