Sign in to follow this  
QuickSilver

320i diff question

Hi all, I drove the work car the other day, and its a 1.3litre carby Hyundai, it was amazingly zippy for what it was... I admit it was about 12 years new, a WHOLE lot lighter and a hatch back, but never mind it got me thinking, the 320 was definitely still quicker (thankfully), this got me thinking, I still haven't changed over the diff when I did my manual conversion from the auto 4-speed to the manual 5-speed... my question, would I be seeing better pick up in first gear if I put the manual diff in? Some people have told me automatic diffs sometimes run better in manual cars due to ratios but how true is this really??? This sounds like a dumb question to me but I just dont know as i've never really played with diffs much!

Cheers!

Alex.

Edit: Typo

Edited by QuickSilver

Hi all, I drove the work car the other day, and its a 1.3litre carby Hyundai, it was amazingly zippy for what it was... I admit it was about 12 years new, a WHOLE lot lighter and a hatch back, but never mind it got me thinking, the 320 was definitely still quicker (thankfully), this got me thinking, I still haven't changed over the diff when I did my manual conversion from the auto 4-speed to the manual 5-speed... my question, would I be seeing better pick up in first gear if I put the manual diff in? Some people have told me automatic diffs sometimes run better in manual cars due to ratios but how true is this really??? This sounds like a dumb question to me but I just dont know as i've never really played with diffs much!

Cheers!

Alex.

Edit: Typo

Depends what diff in there currently - 320i autos varied in diff ratios between years. Being pre facelift I suspect yours is a 3.64 (see tag on rear bolt) F/L's had 4.27 & 4.45 in autos

Manuals were 3.43 ( slightly taller than the early autos 3.64 but only minimal) quite different than 4.45 though, have driven a manual with 4.45 & is quick off the mark but doing well over 3000rpm at 100k

Depends what you are after

you wont pick up faster using a "manual diff" but im surprised your not sick of the auto one already. My 3.91 is borderline too high i think. I might put my 3.65 in...

I went from a 4.45 with the Getrag 260 3100 rpm @ 100kph

to a 3.91 with the 260 2700 rpm at 100kph

A lower ratio would be nice but, i think the car would feel a bit slow being a 320.

Cheers guys I guess it'd be nice to be a little quicker off the line I guess so what do you all recommend? The diff is also generally worn out as it has a slow leak and needs replacing as it is, is yours a 320 or a 325 jimmy?? I find my 320 not toooo bad with power , recommendations all??? Bearing in mind I don't have $800 for an LSD

In a 320 a 3.91 or 4.11 will give you good pickup off the mark. The 3.91 would be a good compromise for open road gas mileage as well.

If you don't know what diff you have, and the tag is gone, jack the back of the car up with it in neutral, and hold one wheel still and count how many turns of the other wheel is required to rotate the driveshaft once. This number divided by 2 is your diff ratio.

In a 320 a 3.91 or 4.11 will give you good pickup off the mark. The 3.91 would be a good compromise for open road gas mileage as well.

If you don't know what diff you have, and the tag is gone, jack the back of the car up with it in neutral, and hold one wheel still and count how many turns of the other wheel is required to rotate the driveshaft once. This number divided by 2 is your diff ratio.

Other way around? Count the number of times the driveshaft goes around for one wheel rotation?

Edited by CamB

Cheers guys I guess it'd be nice to be a little quicker off the line I guess so what do you all recommend? The diff is also generally worn out as it has a slow leak and needs replacing as it is, is yours a 320 or a 325 jimmy?? I find my 320 not toooo bad with power , recommendations all??? Bearing in mind I don't have $800 for an LSD

QuickSilver my car is a 320 and with the 3.9 it feels pretty good its not to slow. and also gets 100km to 10L(not nanna driving but not thrashing )

If i had a 325i would have gone with something like a 3.64 to be around 2500rpm at 100km/h

Edited by Jimmy