Sign in to follow this  
isnowi

Need new tyres for e36 318is

Hi all, I need some new rubber for my e36 318is. It's currently got bridgestone b500si (a JDM tyre i think) 215/45's on 8" wide schnitzer type 1's and has nasty camber wear and suffers from pretty violent tramlining. I suspect that the tyres were rotated by a previous owner, which has caused the wear i am seeing. (it's also possible that there are some bushes to be replaced, but these will be found when it's aligned.) Anyway the reason i am posting is to get some feedback from people as to good points/bad points of various tyre combo's.

On my audi i had both sportmaxx's and a set of well loved contisport contact 2's, (in 225 40 18's) i found the continentals very sticky, but a little nervous at cruising speeds, and atrocious in the wet. The sportmaxx's were not a sticky, but were more consistent at various temperatures and in different conditions, noisier though.

As far as for the BM, i am looking at something similar to the sportmaxx, not particularily loyal to any one brand , and don't need an all out sport's type tyre (needs rim protector though 215 is a little stretched on the 8's and the missus aint to hot on parallel parking :o )

Anyway, i look forward to comments and opinions.

Cheers, Dan

Edited by isnowi

Hi Dan

From your comments above I would recommend the Goodyear Eagle F1's. Most people on here would agree that it is a great allround tyre and it probably has the biggest kerb protector out of all the major brands. Toyo is another great brand although they do measure slightly 'narrower' than the Eagle F1.

We supply, fit and balance tyres at Trade pricing for Bimmersport members. Check out the preferential rates in the sponsors section, or click the link that is beside the main wheels and tyres heading. We have 5 stores around the North Island

Cheers

Johno

Gotta wonder why an old topic has been dragged up? The car is a 318i, A goodyear or equivalent would be fine

I am 4000km into a new set of bridgestone my01's.

Before i am chastised for not buying P zero's or sportmaxx's or any other UHP tyre i must point out that the car is an automatic 1.8 with a factory rating of 140hp, and is driven daily by 'non car chick' (my better half) For what we want the MY01's seem to be filling the bill well. They have a reasonably generous rim protector, are exceptionally quiet, and at less than $500 the set very good value.

As for the comment re the value of family and friends lives, i do not for one second believe that in real world physics myself or my partner would be any better off on P zero's (or other similar UHP tyres), than what we have, in the instance of say a flat spin on some shingle on the road, because to be honest that is the only time an automatic 318, in good repair, is ever likely to loose traction without major provocation.

I am quite happy to take criticism for that last comment, but i truly believe there comes a point when you are beginning to throw money away, for instance the Group A evo 5 i codrive has around $25000 worth of proflex suspension (replacement cost) and it handles phenomenally well, but i don't for one second feel less safe in my Ex lancer rally car with around $1000 worth of suspension, i just drive it to it's capabilities.

For anyone in a similar situation looking at new tyres, i can honestly say that i have been pleasantly surprised with the my01's i though that they would be pretty noisy and generally behave like a cheaper tyre, however the opposite is true, they are very quiet, and for the driving that we do well and truly up to the task at hand.

Cheers, Dan

I am 4000km into a new set of bridgestone my01's.

Before i am chastised for not buying P zero's or sportmaxx's or any other UHP tyre i must point out that the car is an automatic 1.8 with a factory rating of 140hp, and is driven daily by 'non car chick' (my better half) For what we want the MY01's seem to be filling the bill well. They have a reasonably generous rim protector, are exceptionally quiet, and at less than $500 the set very good value.

As for the comment re the value of family and friends lives, i do not for one second believe that in real world physics myself or my partner would be any better off on P zero's (or other similar UHP tyres), than what we have, in the instance of say a flat spin on some shingle on the road, because to be honest that is the only time an automatic 318, in good repair, is ever likely to loose traction without major provocation.

I am quite happy to take criticism for that last comment, but i truly believe there comes a point when you are beginning to throw money away, for instance the Group A evo 5 i codrive has around $25000 worth of proflex suspension (replacement cost) and it handles phenomenally well, but i don't for one second feel less safe in my Ex lancer rally car with around $1000 worth of suspension, i just drive it to it's capabilities.

For anyone in a similar situation looking at new tyres, i can honestly say that i have been pleasantly surprised with the my01's i though that they would be pretty noisy and generally behave like a cheaper tyre, however the opposite is true, they are very quiet, and for the driving that we do well and truly up to the task at hand.

Cheers, Dan

my 2c....

dunlop direzza dz101 ftw, they are slightly cheaper than sportmaxx, and while the sportmaxx will last longer, the dz101 is superior in the dry and wet and has less road noise and a rim protector. i bought these over the sportmaxx and eagle f1, which by no means are bad tyres.

i've had dz101's on the car for just over 6 months, and i won't be changing to another tyre any time soon. i believe that for average joe blogs and for someone who pushes the car every now and then these will suit both worlds.

and at the end of the day the only thing seperating you and the road are your tyres!

Used to have bad tram lining on my AC type 1's (16x8) running 225/50/16's with a Uniroyal performance tyre

I moved to Bridgestone Gii and then later gIII's which cured the tram lining / weaving under braking & downhill stability

This weekend I replaced the fronts with the new bridgestone re001 ( http://www.potenza-adrenalin.com/ ) these are the replacement for both the Giii and S02's. No tramling with these and seem good so far. The design looks like it will protect the rims (No as much as the lower profile older verson Giii)

In terms of tyre threads ..... Yep they do crop up , but there are always newer tyres on the market so these threads do need to crop up again. Maybe it's work a sticky thread on tyres with opinions that can change as the tyres do. I've seen this run well on motorcycle track day forums

Just remembered , 8 inch type 1's may require the rear arches to be rolled with anything wider than a 225 so check clearance if you go to a 235 (the 225/50/16 rear Uniroyal's used to rub sometimes )

Edited by Neal