Sign in to follow this  
ZNeM

New rear tyres

Hi

I need new rear tyres for my 735i.

I need 255/45/18 were is a good place in Hamilton to get new tyres from.

Hi

I need new rear tyres for my 735i.

I need 255/45/18 were is a good place in Hamilton to get new tyres from.

I have Dunlop Sport Maxx in stock, could courier them down and you could get them fitted at any tyre shop

I have Dunlop Sport Maxx in stock, could courier them down and you could get them fitted at any tyre shop

How much?

Just my two pence worth here, but I would consider another tyre if I was you.

Sorry Zenetti I dont mean to lose you a sale but Ive not found the Dunlops to be very good at all on the 740. Admittedly they were SP Sport 01's but the traction was poor in the dry, never mind the wet) and the rears were knackered after just over a year.

For something of this size I have nothing but good things to say of Falkens though and perhaps you should consider a set of FK452 ZNem.

Sorry Zenetti I dont mean to lose you a sale but Ive not found the Dunlops to be very good at all on the 740. Admittedly they were SP Sport 01's but the traction was poor in the dry, never mind the wet) and the rears were knackered after just over a year.

For something of this size I have nothing but good things to say of Falkens though and perhaps you should consider a set of FK452 ZNem.

Thanks for that.

In that pic of the 740i you got they are the same mags as what I got on my 735i.

Edited by ZNeM

Hey penry

you really can't compare the 2 tyres. The SP01 is an assymetric tyre and quite an old design now. The Sport Maxx is directional and Dunlops 'newest' tyre and has had hundreds of hours of development put into it.. 3pedals has them on his 3 series so again I don't know if you can really compare the comments he has made. Obviously a 7 series is hugely different to a 3 series in the way it handles and in the way it can de driven. We also have the Falken FK452 so will let you know pricing on Monday ZNeM

Hmmmmm - interesting. I have Dunlop SP10A*'s on my E38 740i and have absolutely no problems with traction in the dry or the wet, no mater how fast I take off, like in 1st gear, or sports mode, I'm not getting any wheel slip. I'm not getting any slip on wet or dry fast runs up the Rimutaka Hill either.

What size tyres were you running? I'm running 245/40ZR20's; would that make a difference?

My only observation is that from a turn in point of view they seem to resist a little compared to the Nexen 3000, which were directional.

I've now put 225/35ZR19 Dunlop Sport Maxx on the front of my SLK and I'm very happy with them - they are a very different tyre than the SP01, certainly more sporting. They have a couple of thing is common, they are tyres, black and have "Dunlop" on the side. I'm not sure thats an objective reason to suggest Sport Maxx tyres are not any good.

Edited by jimbo

I have 245- 40-17 sport Max on the rear of my E36 328 -

I agree these are not a great tyre done 8,000km and only got 3mm left, dont stick in the wet and will spin real easy in the wet.

Okay in the dry. No where near as much feel as the Pirelli neros they replaced

I do want a tyre that will be good in the wet and dry and do more then 8,000km but not cost too much.

Just talking about my experience thats all, over the lifetime of the tyre I was very disappointed with the Dunlops and would have no hesitation in going back to the Falkens.

I do want a tyre that will be good in the wet and dry and do more then 8,000km but not cost too much.

Maybe a Nexen is the way to go, its another good allround tyre, silica based so is nice and quiet, has reasonable grip and it lasts pretty well.

Maybe a Nexen is the way to go, its another good allround tyre, silica based so is nice and quiet, has reasonable grip and it lasts pretty well.

How much for the Nexen tyres?

Looked at the Toyo before going for the Maxx be interested to hear what you think of them.

Just been driving my 528 with 255/40 -17 Maxx on the back , less than 2000km spin real easy in the wet

Really gone off these tyres in a big way

Is there any decent tyre that slots in under the Pirelli P Zero nero that is not crap??

I will see how they go when I get them.

What tyre pressure do I put in the tyres because I got a US BMW 7 Manual and it says outside of the US.

Front 29 psi Back 33 psi or Front 33 psi back 41 psi

And some places in Hamilton say 36 psi all round and some 38 psi all round.

So what pressure do I put in?

Depends on tyre size and terrain, all my driving is OPEN road (the fun stuff)

On the 328 with 235 17 all round I ran 36 all round, with 235/40 fronts & 245/40 rears I run 36 front 38 rear

On the 528 with 235/45 on the front I run 36 and in the 255-40 17 on the rear I run 39

Which is what is on the factory door tags for both cars

Drop them by 2 to 3 if you are just stooging around town

Imagine the 7 would be similar to the 5 pressures - do they think we all drive on dirt roads out side the country of one eyed vision

Ok on my factory door tag its got it in bar because of it been from Japan but for the max load its got it abit lower then that for the front 2.0 bar thats 29 psi back 2.4 bar thats about 35 psi.

Thats why I'm asking I mite run it what you have said because of got front 235/50/18 back 255/45/18.

Hi, I have Michilen Pilot Primacys (16" x 225/55) on my E39. Seem to do the business for me - and that includes regular fast trips up the Para Paras. When I need to replace - unless someone can tell me there are better - I'll replace with same. What do you reckon??

Regards

Hi, I have Michilen Pilot Primacys (16" x 225/55) on my E39. Seem to do the business for me - and that includes regular fast trips up the Para Paras. When I need to replace - unless someone can tell me there are better - I'll replace with same. What do you reckon??

Regards

Michilen Pilot Primacys are what my SLK came with - 16 x 205R55 front and 16 x 225R50 at the rear. The rears would spin invoking traction control even with mild take off's on the dry, and in the wet, on the Rimutaka's - DAMN! I think these were on it in Japan and sometimes the rubber hardens which may explain the lack of grip.

Anyway I changed to 2nd hand 19" wheels and Yokahama ECOS ES300 tyres which were much better (although these are actually a cheap lowly rated tyre) - and now I'm on Dunblop Sport Maxx at the front which are better again. Several people have a very different opinion of the Sport Maxx.

What I find hard to reconcile the different opinions on tyres - peoples claimed expereinces on the same tyres are so different. How is that?

I got rid of the Nexen 3000 tyre off my 740. They are a good handing tyre BUT in my opinion they are a little suspect in the qualifty department. In my opinion they do handle better than the Dunlop SP01A which is what I replaced them with.

The previous owner had to replace one because of a crack in a sidewall to get a WOF before I bought the car. After I had it a few weeks the left front developed a crack in the sidewall, and all the air hissed out! Given this had happened twice I wasn't going to risk it happending again and replaced the lot.

The 2 tyres that had been on the car for 8000km had worn 3mm, so another 3mm wear would be down to the replace marks. Thats not partuclaurly impressive tyre life. The new tyre that had been on less than 1000km had worn 1mm!

Possibly the 740 is a little heavy for them.

People experiences on the same tyre are different because they are probably comparing their old tyre which is different. Other factors to considered are tyre pressure, alot of shops I went to pump them up to 46psi which is way too hard and the tyre doesn't sit flat on the road that might explain lack of grip - (I had one set on 46psi and the middle tread worn down very quickly).

When it's wet was it could have just started raining which is more slippery than when it is actually soaking wet.

I have had Nankang NS1, Brigdestone Grid3, Dunlop Direzza, Achilles ATR Sport and Grip is exceptional on all 4 tyres (wet & dry).

Nankang creates alot of noise and grip is not as good as others however at half the price and performance which is close to Direzza and Grid3, it is exceptional value.

Direzza give me more confidence and I can go around this particular corner outside my house 10km faster compared to Nankang. They are quiter, more refine and absorb bumps much better than others.

Grid3 to me seem like there is more traction when accelerating from standstill in the wet and noisier compare to Direzza.

Achilles ATR Sport are new to me this tyre has not been on the same car as the other 3 tyres however the grip in the wet are exceptional, very happy with the performance. I will try Direzza when these wear down as I reckon it would give a more comfortable ride. When I am short of money I would definitely go for Achilles again as they are around the same price as Nankang $130 compared to $200 for Direzza.

There is maybe a $20 price difference between Direzza and other high performance tyres such as Falken, Toyo, Bridgestone etc from personal experience and the hype and the number of people saying how great they are, I would always go for Direzza.

Have been trying to find a good tyre for E39 528i 225/55/R16 and there are not alot of choices and ones available are more like passenger tyres, and they are more expensive that 17" performance tyres. Time to get new mags, so if anyone has 17" mags to fit e39 then let me know.

Edited by tonylauno1