Sign in to follow this  
rxsumo

Tracking your Car's history

Our E3 3.0S was a private import from the UK back in '73. I thought that it would be cool to get hold of the information about the car prior to it coming over. I have the original ownership papers for the car, and when I ran the original owners details through whitepages it came back with the same address as in the ownership papers.

As a long shot, I wrote to the original owner, to see about the car's history before it got to NZ, and yesterday I got a huge email back with heaps of history, with all sorts snippets of gold like where the car was originally supplied from etc, as well as a few of the more memorable moments with the car.

He was definitely an enthusiastic BMW driver as this snippet about a drive into Europe shows.

"With four of us on board on the Paris - Calais motorway I cruised for 15 minutes at 100mph, then 15 minutes at 110mph, 15 minutes at 120mph and then 15 minutes flat out (about 128mph depending on gradient - I did see 130mph with the rpm's nudging the redline) - in the hour we covered over 110 miles. The only car to pass me was a BMW 30Si. We won't talk about fuel consumption!"

I'm glad to see that it wasn't a pampered luxury car in its early life.

Has anybody else tried this this exercise with their cars?

That's really cool. I'd try it with my car, but I'm guessing the only previous owner was a balding Japanese sales rep whose main thrill with the car was getting out of second gear while in rush hour traffic! :D

On the other hand, my grandmother owns a E28 528i that my grandfather brought back from Germany with him in the early 80's, now that might have an exciting history.

My car was bought for a butcher's wife in Levin back in June 1990, and has achieved every stamp in her service book. I believe it had a well pampered, but ultimately unexciting life in small town New Zealand. Perhaps one day, she will be used as a getaway car.

Mine had four registered owners before escaping from the big smoke to Wellington...a previous owner told me it was pretty quick around taupo.!!

Mine was owned by lawyers and lived in Ponsonby...

My mum owned my BMW...

The Z4 was owned by someone who traded it for a 350Z which was foolish...pior to the trade she was working at a well known company, wont say the name...

Our E12 520i of which we are only the second owner & have now had nearly 14 years was bought as "tourist delivery" off the assy line in Munich by the first owner (local person).

He specced it as he wished (still now has genuine BMW original option floor mats, sheepskins, air con) Becker motorised radio I replaced (but kept)with a CD when we got it. He saw the finish of the build, drove off the assy line, around Europe, across to UK where it spent the first 18 months before it was allowed to be bought to NZ in 1980. I have all the original factory documentation/ spec options & early servicing along with the first Euro Rego plates.

While in UK someone with a grudge carved a swastica on the bonnet which he had repainted when it arrived here.

Car has had a pretty sedate life, done only 85k when we bought it & now only just over 120k - has seen me with a couple of infringements over he years though

Guest Rick James

Private import from South africa by Rodney Wayne in 1990.

Then spent time around 94-96 in the hands of a pilot and spent much of its time around Ardmore airfield.

Went back to Jerry Clayton in the later 90's and was looked after them for a time before finding its way to my fathers old mechanic.

I saw it on a hoist and did a bit of research as to what it really was, pestered him for a couple of years to sell it to me and now here we are!

My car appears to have been a factory delivery to the Coombes family (of Coombes Johnston bmw) Where it was picked up in Germany and covered 4500km, and then bought over (interestingly complied without 3rd tail light & rear headrests, unusual for e30?) and sold probably as a "demonstrator". Then 3 nz owners before me.

Wasn't Ponsonby a bit of a ghetto in the late '80s? Or am I thinking of the '70s?

My M325i was delivered new to some bloke on Paritai Drive Orakei and then owned by an Ad executive at Saachi's until i bought it 3 years ago at 138ks

Ponsonby was more a ghetto in the 70s

Wasn't Ponsonby a bit of a ghetto in the late '80s? Or am I thinking of the '70s?

Duno, but my car is 1990 :P

My car appears to have been a factory delivery to the Coombes family (of Coombes Johnston bmw) Where it was picked up in Germany and covered 4500km, and then bought over (interestingly complied without 3rd tail light & rear headrests, unusual for e30?) and sold probably as a "demonstrator". Then 3 nz owners before me.

Not sure about the 3rd brake light, but lack of headrests is not unusual - my old M325i didn't have them either, and was close to full spec otherwise.

My wee baby is the country bike!!! :P

Built to order 6/1989 in the Motherland, then hitched a ride to NZL to:

Team Mac BMW

Remuera,AK

Epsom,AK

Christchurch BMW

Fendalton,CHCH

Christchurch BMW

Oxford,CHCH

Unknown

My boss

Me -DDN

Yeah was owned by my second in charge boss were i work part time, i nagged him for ages to buy it and he finally gave in.

All the rich suburbs apart from whatever the rich one is in Welly. :P

Edited by BMW Power

Snob thread alert! arent these just stories of everyday people living everyday lives?

mine was owned by a man who drove it, had a job and earned money. Im not sure how rich he was, well known his name is, or glamourous his wife was, but he cared for the car

Snob thread alert! arent these just stories of everyday people living everyday lives?

mine was owned by a man who drove it, had a job and earned money. Im not sure how rich he was, well known his name is, or glamourous his wife was, but he cared for the car

Not snobby just interesting to know where the cars been. I would be more interesting if ya did know how glam his wife was or had pics even :D