Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

m20b25 performance chip?

hey guys

since im doing a engine transplant into my new e30 shells ive been considering upgrading ma ecu

where am i going to hunt down a peformance chip for the m20b25 motor

does some one have a second hand one, cause i really dont feel like paying a grand

what are the options on ecu upgrades on the old e30 325i?

e30zone.co.uk, Ant does some decent chips apparently...i wouldnt bother wasting your $$ on anything 2nd hand or from ebay...and dont expect a huge difference

Why dont you megasquirt it while its all out. Would probaly cost around $700 shipped. www.diyautotune.com

Get the stock one tuned - it has fuel/timing maps in it (Assuming your Motronic - if your not then get motronic)

Gaving Bellars @ Hi Velocity - does all the work on my cars (and very good work at that) and has seen some great gains of stock ECUs.

(09) 4424451

so best bet just to get it tuned instead of getting a performance chip?

will that do the same trick?

but will it be back to stock again e.g. the same tuning 20 years ago. or better ?

Go for the real time tuning. I have done that with Map-Ecu, you keep your stock ecu and remove the barn door air flow meter.

You are literally custom tuning your engine/fuel parameters that YOUR ENGINE likes etc.Any future mods can be real time tuned again to compare what your engine was doing before & after.

If you check overseas you will find rolling road tuning the norm.(Bexeley motorworks in uk etc etc etc)

so best bet just to get it tuned instead of getting a performance chip?

will that do the same trick?

but will it be back to stock again e.g. the same tuning 20 years ago. or better ?

These are the results i got by fitting Map-Ecu and real time tuning.

Huge gains thru mid-range and modest top end, you have to remember my engine is 100% stock.

Better throttle response and excellent Seat of the Pants FEEL.

http://www.performancemotorresearch.co.nz/...hread.php?t=126

When you say real time tuning, do you mean something like superchips? Who change the ecu programming? Or do you mean take the standard chip to a place and get it dyno tuned?

When you say real time tuning, do you mean something like superchips? Who change the ecu programming? Or do you mean take the standard chip to a place and get it dyno tuned?

No chip change with Map-Ecu. Via lap top you can alter the fuel & timing while on dyno etc.(proffesional tuner)

The lap top plugs in to the Map-Ecu piggy back computer, also you get rid of the primitive barn door flap AFM.

Best to check out their full website.

thats some serious fast and furious sh*t

i like the idea of having a laptop in my car for other use than dvds and games

interesting . . . . .

how much am i looking at spending ?

thats some serious fast and furious sh*t

i like the idea of having a laptop in my car for other use than dvds and games

interesting . . . . .

how much am i looking at spending ?

The tuning via laptop should be initially done by tuner, you can hook up while running and see the full 3-d map.

This is the best you can get without going to FULL REPLACEMENT ECU/LOOM.

Cost?? i would say up to $1000 depends whether you have Map-Ecu 1 or 2,(incl custom tune)

Check out their website, N.Z. made/designed/backup etc.

If you want to look at mine let me know.

The tuning via laptop should be initially done by tuner, you can hook up while running and see the full 3-d map.

This is the best you can get without going to FULL REPLACEMENT ECU/LOOM.

Cost?? i would say up to $1000 depends whether you have Map-Ecu 1 or 2,(incl custom tune)

Check out their website, N.Z. made/designed/backup etc.

If you want to look at mine let me know.

you have the map 2 version correct???How long does the tuning process take?did you get a MPG improvement.Do you get a decrease in co2?

you have the map 2 version correct???How long does the tuning process take?did you get a MPG improvement.Do you get a decrease in co2?

Yes, Map 2. Tuning can take a few hours but anyone with BMW M30 engine can now download my map from their site so you would only need slight variations to compensate for your engine characteristics etc.(you could drive immediately)

Better economy when cruising at motorway speeds, no diff town driving.Don't know about co2.

The good thing about map-ecu is you can hook it up in learn mode with your old air flow meter and it builds up a base map.