Sign in to follow this  
Greg111

On Board Computers

Hey guys, not sure if im putting this in the right section but anyways when i bought the M3 it had the 10 or so button OBC, now i thought all M3s had the 16 button one??? Ive seen other M3s older, newer etc etc with the 16 button ones then ive seen some with 2 or 3 button ones, whats up with this, i'm wondering if i can get hold of a 16 button computer will it plug in and work all the fixtures?

PS sorry i tend to ramble on.

Hey Greg, I'm guessing your car has the 11 button OBC? The earlier E36s got a 7(or 8) button, then they got the 11 button, and finally the 18 button. The 18 button will not be plug and play but it can be retrofitted, you need the 18 button's wiring harness.

Hey Greg, I'm guessing your car has the 11 button OBC? The earlier E36s got a 7(or 8) button, then they got the 11 button, and finally the 18 button. The 18 button will not be plug and play but it can be retrofitted, you need the 18 button's wiring harness.

Yep thats the one, 11 button, so the wiring harness will just plug into the necersary plugs for the extra functions, correct?

So if i was to get a 18 button OBC and harness i could just plug it all in myself?

As i say i've seen some earlier models with the 18 buttons and some newer ones with the 11 buttons, thought it must be to do with the country of origean?

Edited by Greg111

Yup I believe so - here's a link: http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticl...OBD_Convert.htm

I think you're right, 99% of Japanese cars I've seen have the 11 button, even the later models, but pretty much all the US cars got the 18 button after it was available. I think it's an option in some markets while in the US they may have made it standard. Some cars in the UK didn't even have an OBC.

Yup I believe so - here's a link: http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticl...OBD_Convert.htm

I think you're right, 99% of Japanese cars I've seen have the 11 button, even the later models, but pretty much all the US cars got the 18 button after it was available. I think it's an option in some markets while in the US they may have made it standard. Some cars in the UK didn't even have an OBC.

Hey thanks that helps, this guy is like me, don't need it but want it. Haha.

Just gotta find a OBC and loom now, can tell already thats gonna be difficult!!!