Sign in to follow this  
Driftit

Replacing Factory Head unit in 1998 E38

Hey guys,

My brother is sick of the useless half working headunit in his E38. He purchased a new headunit and booked in to have it installed by the "pros" at an audio shop.

After about an hour they called us and said that the job is bigger than they thought and that they would need to rewire the factory amp so that all the speakers in the car would work.

Now this car has speakers everywhere. I pressume like most other 7 series.

Is there a simple way to get around this and install a headunit? Or does anybody have some experiance with installing headunits into an E38 or similar?

if they are any good they should be able to use the factory amp etc .

just need a diagram if you cant do tracking circuits very well .

it actually has a tuner box in the boot that looks just like std e36/e34 radio with no face . has same e36/e34 loom plug that you can buy at repco etc .

to adapt to new head unit with long wires up to the front , might have to leave neg terminals off from new head unit speaker outputs .

if they are any good they should be able to use the factory amp etc .

just need a diagram if you cant do tracking circuits very well .

it actually has a tuner box in the boot that looks just like std e36/e34 radio with no face . has same e36/e34 loom plug that you can buy at repco etc .

to adapt to new head unit with long wires up to the front , might have to leave neg terminals off from new head unit speaker outputs .

If the radio is screwed, ie bad sound from some spekers, static, some speaker not working, it is the factory amp which is the problem alone, they get pretty hot a just die a slow death, again there are about 20 different model amps, some that run tv radio and phone, radio and tv, radio and phone and all newer updted amp models, new is around 2500, i had it happen to me,i replaced ever speaker aswell. got another amp from the states 600 with warranty,perfect never had a problem . the fm tuner is actually the cassete unit behind the tilting wood trim