Sign in to follow this  
BimmerMSport

BMW 525i Motorsport

Hi, I'm new here. Hoping to get some advice from the pros :D

I'm looking to buy a 525i motorsport, maybe 2002 model Jap import, low mileage nothing more than 70000km.

Is this a good car? What should I look out for? How much should I expect to spend?

Thanks.

Heres a couple that were on trade me,

#3,

All around the same price, 25k, and I wouldn't think you'd get a better example for under that.

I've had experience with a couple E39's (520 & 540) and IMO they're great cars, with great handling.

Most of the problems with most cars in fact are around the 100,000km mark, so you shouldn't get it and then have heaps of problems for you to fix.

A couple problems i've experienced in the E39 are with the cooling system. The 540 has pretty much had the whole cooling system replaced, radiator, expansion tank, etc. Luckily it was under a mechanical warranty. But that all happened well after the 100k mark (about 150k), so it's not something you'd need to worry about in a relatively low km example.

Good luck and welcome!

Nick

Heres a couple that were on trade me,

#3,

All around the same price, 25k, and I wouldn't think you'd get a better example for under that.

I've had experience with a couple E39's (520 & 540) and IMO they're great cars, with great handling.

Most of the problems with most cars in fact are around the 100,000km mark, so you shouldn't get it and then have heaps of problems for you to fix.

A couple problems i've experienced in the E39 are with the cooling system. The 540 has pretty much had the whole cooling system replaced, radiator, expansion tank, etc. Luckily it was under a mechanical warranty. But that all happened well after the 100k mark (about 150k), so it's not something you'd need to worry about in a relatively low km example.

Good luck and welcome!

Nick

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. The blue car seems a bit over priced compared to the other two at $30K so I think I will give that a miss. Ideally, I would like a black but doesn't seem to be any available. How popular is the white? I prefer that colour to a silver. But I'm also thinking of resaleability in case I need to sell it later on! Hope not!

I'm relatively inexperienced in car purchase so is there anything I should particularly look out for when checking out the car b4 I purchase. Thanks mucho! :)

Don't know if you've seen This one. Its black, but might be getting a bit old for your preferences.

I personally quite like the white, but opinions around the forum would be quite mixed. Its kind of a love hate sort of thing.

The 2002 White 525 is quite well spec'd from the looks of things; the glass sunroof, t.v - nav, telephone, suede seats (which really holds you in around the corners).

Rain sensors, headlight washers, PDC, rear blind, are just a few things to look for. Which I don't think this one has.

Cruise control came pretty standard.

Just check whether its a Jap import or a Singapore import.

Nick

Forgot to say that xenon headlights came out around '02, which is a large improvement over the standard halogen bulbs in the pre-facelift.

Xenon puts out a white light instead of the yellow of the halogen.

The angel-eyes also look fantastic.

Don't know if you've seen This one. Its black, but might be getting a bit old for your preferences.

I personally quite like the white, but opinions around the forum would be quite mixed. Its kind of a love hate sort of thing.

The 2002 White 525 is quite well spec'd from the looks of things; the glass sunroof, t.v - nav, telephone, suede seats (which really holds you in around the corners).

Rain sensors, headlight washers, PDC, rear blind, are just a few things to look for. Which I don't think this one has.

Cruise control came pretty standard.

Just check whether its a Jap import or a Singapore import.

Nick

Sorry if this is a dumb question but what is the difference between a Jap or Sing import?

Yeap Japan is better.

Problems that occur with Singapore imports is electrical, and often alot dont have heaters...the list goes on...

Edited by E30-IS

yep my old man brought over a few 5s from sing when he was car dealing they only blew out cold air

Hi, I'm new here. Hoping to get some advice from the pros :D

I'm looking to buy a 525i motorsport, maybe 2002 model Jap import, low mileage nothing more than 70000km.

Is this a good car? What should I look out for? How much should I expect to spend?

Thanks.

I am no pro but have done alot of homework before purchasing a 97 e39 528i and happy to say that this car has every option available except for PDC & EDC and even has a service history from Japan.

My only advice to you would be to drive lots of them then you will see for yourself that some are fast and some are slower than a 1.6 Toyota because they have not been properly maintained.

This is a website with common problems and remedy, a few items such as valve gaskets and radiator only applies to V8 but I reckon everything else will be related to you. At 70km there should be anything to replace but water pump, fan belt, tensioner, front wheel ball joints might need replacing soon

http://www.540i6.com/probsfixes.html

This is everything you need to know when you own the car.

http://www.e38.org/e39/

Since you are after 2002 then there is no more 528i as they are now 530i

Have you seen the 2002 530i (40hp + 55Nm of torque more compare to the 525i) - havent actually come across a 530I Motorsport before

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C....htm?key=329590

There is always the 528i (96-02) which has the same hp as the 525i (02+) and it has an extra 35Nm of Torque.

All these figures came from http://en.wikipedia.org

By the way, out of those 3 cars #1, #2 & #3 - I agree that the white is better specs however it looks like there is no rear blind, heated seats, ASC (might be called DSC in 02 cars), PDC - apart from these everything else look cool; would be cooler if it had leather seats.

Edited by tonylauno1

Sounds like Jap import is definitely the way to go!!

Thanks guys!

BTW are the black 525i Msport low mileage 2002 Jap imports easy to come by? Dunno if it's worth waiting around to get one.

Sounds like Jap import is definitely the way to go!!

Thanks guys!

BTW are the black 525i Msport low mileage 2002 Jap imports easy to come by? Dunno if it's worth waiting around to get one.

They come up every now and then, saw one down at St Luke's this afternoon.

Just have to play the waiting game.

Keep an eye on Turners.co.nz, and of course on Trade Me. Carspot.co.nz is a forum sponsor and I believe they can actually bring a car in for you. Jerry Clayton's pre-owned division on wirau road usually has a good selection of E39's, but are worse on the price side of things. Jerry Clayton do give mechanical warranties as well, you can also choose to extend it.

Welcome! On the subject of HID/xenons, you don't want aftermarket xenons (ie: rebased kits). You want OEM xenon, the headlights will be different (though you can't see the differences from the outside, and there will be a bracket on the back of the headlight which holds the Hella ballast. Aftermarket xenons are the crap on the road that gives everyone glare and gives xenon a bad name.

The E39 is a great car, it's very nice to drive and looks very good. As has been said, it will be a plus if the cooling system has been done. Try to get one with service history. Get any potential car scanned by a good BMW shop (either dealer or independent) before plonking down your cash. Pre-purchase inspection at the dealer will cost you $130 + GST from memory, very reasonable for the peace of mind.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but what is the difference between a Jap or Sing import?

Please please, try to avoid SG imports.

Their hot climate cracks the rubber strips especially those on the windscreens and the hotter temperatures also f**k up eletrical contact points.

I know because my dad's old 740i was a SG import.

As for Japanese import, make sure it doesnt come from Northern part of Japan. They spread salt on the ground to loosen the snow. The salt can cause slight rust on cars from those areas. Nothing major but best to avoid. Can check by referring to original records of the car and looking at the underside of the car for any signs of rust.

That white one will be a Jap import.

Tell tale signs, the number plate holders both front and rear are of a more compact design. These will take Jap style plates (and US). Sing cars will have the wider design for Sing style plates, which is the wider European style plates.

Don't know if this site could help at all, www.nznew.co.nz

They specialize in importing any car for thousands below dealer prices.

Welcome,

12 months ago I asked for much the same advice as you and was told if my pocket could extend get yourself a 530i, IMO a better all round balanced vehicle, ended up with a facelift 02 model. I have not been sorry, have to say be careful of the Singapore imports as mine was and have had a few issues to sort out along the way, all part of the learning curve when owing a BMW. As mentioned get the vehicle you choose checked out by a BMW dealer with a pre -purchase inspection best money you will spend. Their are a number on Trade me at the moment and a few have already been posted for you. The other piece's of advice I was given where take your time and drive as many as you can while you look for the one that really fit you best. Happy hunting

Allan