Sign in to follow this  
M3_guy

E30 or E34 Are they reliable cars???

Cheers, I sorta hijacked this thread from someone else...sorry to the OP. I will keep in touch Paul.

Guest Simon*

Ian

This has been recently listed - don't know if you've seen it. UK 535iSE manual, cloth seats, very high km's

'89 535iSE

and this if you prefer the E30: '87 Lachsilber 325i manual coupe with kit for $3300

87 325i

Edited by Simon*

I had seen this car, the k's were extremely high and I didn't really want to get one with that many

Cheers, I sorta hijacked this thread from someone else...sorry to the OP. I will keep in touch Paul.

No worries, I am learning alot here on this thread than I have before, I am now set on finding a 540i than anything else. All the opinions are pointing out that this is more reliable and better cruiser for the money. One of Ray's E34 would be the most ideal.

i would not say the 540 would be more reliable than a 535.Its a more modern engine and it will be a slightly newer car,but the V8 is a pretty tight fit in the e34 engine bay.I advise you to look and get the best car you can afford.but be warned,once you have driven a 540.......

Ian

This has been recently listed - don't know if you've seen it. UK 535iSE manual, cloth seats, very high km's

its done fewer Ks than yours!

Guest Simon*

its done fewer Ks than yours!

Haha I know, but mine goes like it's new ;)

And I said the 535 had very high km, mine I would say has ludicrously high ....! 371k and counting

Guest Simon*

i would not say the 540 would be more reliable than a 535.Its a more modern engine and it will be a slightly newer car,but the V8 is a pretty tight fit in the e34 engine bay.I advise you to look and get the best car you can afford.but be warned,once you have driven a 540.......

I can agree with this too. The M30 motor in the 535 is widely accepted as being bulletproof and very long lived with just the minimum servicing. I used to have one too - but .... like Paul said once you've driven a 540 you're ruined for all other E34s :)

... like Paul said once you've driven a 540 you're ruined for all other E34s :)

just to qualify this....i have driven two 540 six speeds.At least one of these cars had had a relatively hard life for the last couple of years...in fact had sat waiting for a new clutch because owner couldnt (or didnt want to spend the $$$).The other one was ok.Neither were in equal cond to my 535.

The M60 is night and day far superior to the M30,even in sixth on a slight uphill(The long uphill straight on SH1 just before Johnsonville) a gentle push and hold of the gas had the 540 doing 160 in no time...This was 540 no1.

However both 540,s had very "wooden" brakes and steering compared to my 535

That and the fact that neither were in better condition decided me to keep the 535

The first 540 i drove was definetly quicker than the second.....

Time you drove mine Paul!

But they are all very fair comments. I did drive Brent's hotted up 535 manual and really missed the torque of the V8. However the cars themselves are excellent and when his hit the upper rev range, it took off like a 2 stroke.