Sign in to follow this  
greenday-rulz21

One of BMW's best-kept secrets

Just a little bit of history for ya.

Posted Image

One of BMW's best-kept secrets is the canceled BMW M8 Prototype. Originally envisioned as a Ferrari competitor, only a single prototype was ever produced, equipped with a special 550 bhp (410 kW) version of the S70 engine, essentially a bored out version of the M70 with experimental multi valve cylinder heads. A common misconception is that this engine eventually ended up in the McLaren F1. However, when this was suggested to McLaren's designer Gordon Murray, the idea was rejected because the engine was overweight and too long for the McLaren F1. A whole new engine was designed which has a closer resemblance to the later euro S50B30 BMW M3 engine.

The project was eventually scrapped because BMW decided that there was no market for an M8. The only prototype ever produced (one that was reportedly not even road safe) was locked away by BMW in the company's Giftschrank (poison storage) and has reportedly been destroyed.

Posted Image

Absolutely no one must see it or can get information, by order from the general manager himself. Questions from motorsport magazines remain unanswered as well.

Yes, the papers of an 850CSi say, it's an M8, but that's not of much use if you know what it could have been. What the S70 engine is capable of speaks for itself. See the world record run of the McLaren F1. The guys at McLaren say they could get 1000 hp at 9500 or 10000 rpm from the engine.

The different versions of the S70 engine:

S70 5576 ccm 380 hp, 24V, 850CSi 1992

S70/1 about 6000 ccm 550 hp, 48V(?), M8 prototype 1990

S70/2 6064 ccm 627 hp, 48V, McLaren F1 1993

S70/3 6064 ccm 635 hp, 48V, McLaren F1 1996

Hard to believe they would destroy something like this when the project was canned ... stuff like this needs to live in a museum of some sort.

"The Prototype has never been road safe (even the headlights were missing as you can see in the picture) and was only loosely patched together, which is the reason why it is not presented in their museum. It's not even good for that ...says BMW." -- e31.net

Yeaya!....black wheels polished lip...FTW :P

haha i was gonna say da same thing........bmw knew what the aftermarket guys were gonna be doing in 2007 wayyy back in the 1980s!!!

haha i was gonna say da same thing........bmw knew what the aftermarket guys were gonna be doing in 2007 wayyy back in the 1980s!!!

bro, our cars like near identical...lol dont know but your paint looks a little lite? what colour is it?

bro, our cars like near identical...lol dont know but your paint looks a little lite? what colour is it?

haha yea i noticed that buddy....as far as i know, the paint I've got is part of the BMW Individual range......i've even got a badge in the engine bay for it....

its called 'Calypsorot Metallic'...... :ph34r:

haha yea i noticed that buddy....as far as i know, the paint I've got is part of the BMW Individual range......i've even got a badge in the engine bay for it....

its called 'Calypsorot Metallic'...... :ph34r:

Just checked it is called "BMW-calypsorot-metallic"

same as yours?

Edited by international

The arse end looks a whole lot like an E36,even the shape of the tail lights.

That's it Brent.

That is a mint as F*ck wheel!

Is it yours? I'm aiming for Arrow to have mine looking that good again.

The arse end looks a whole lot like an E36,even the shape of the tail lights.

Yeah you're right, looks heaps like an e36 coupe from the rear.

Guest Rick James

Um, those are M-system wheels if we want to get technical, the covers are called turbines / throwing stars.

I was going to get technical on the S70 specs too, but I can't post from home, suprise suprise.

/nods, smiles, then goes out to the garage :)

and yes, mine has a WBS chassis code, and an S70 engine :D

That's it Brent.

That is a mint as F*ck wheel!

Is it yours? I'm aiming for Arrow to have mine looking that good again.

no not mine just a pic from the internerd