Sign in to follow this  
Eagle

E30 325i Temp gauge reading cold

My Temp gauge is reading just above the 1\4 mark while highway type driving, when left to idle slowly moves up & sits dead on 12 'o' clock position.

I thought it was the thermostat so replaced it with a new one and still the same thing.

Im thinking maybe coolant temp sensor is faulty?, any thoughts appreciated. Cheers

yes most likely the temp sensor so replace that. Could also be the gauge or a faulty instrument cluster. I take it that the thermostat was the same temp rating as your old one?

Whilst your driving the you have airflow through the radiater so the coolant will stay reasonably cool hence the engine will stay reasonbly cool, when the engine is idling theres no airflow through the radiater so the engine will heat up to its operating temp (88-90 degrees) which is the 12 oclock position on the gauge so technically it sounds about right.

I'd check the viscous fan, if it's not working properly it can stay on and keep the car running cool until stationary.

Not sure about the thermostat didn't look, same thing happened with the old thermostat in so im pretty sure its right. Fan seems to work alright as good as an old fan does, if its anything like the E34\E32 you know when its on.

Ill replace the sensor and hope that does it.

thanks