Sign in to follow this  
mtech1e30

My bmw broke! Headgasket

Hi,

I have an 87 318i with an Auto M10. It overheated last week and I have since found out it has a blown headgasket.

The head has not been removed yet, so I don't know if there is any damage to the head.

What I would like are opinions and approx costs on the following.

If motor is not cooked:

Replace headgasket and return engine to condition it was in before.

If motor is cooked:

Would a rebuild be best, or replace the whole engine?

If I replaced it, would it cost much more to change it to a 2.5L vairant? If I replaced it with a larger engine I would also like to convert it to manual, what would be the approximate cost to do so?

Keeping in mind I would not be doing any of this work myself, it would all be done by a mechanic, are many hours of labor involved?

Thanks heaps!

hey there ive got a 89 318 auto running a 87 m325i manual motor and running gear

i did the conversion in a weekend, all straight forward and all bolts up wirings easy

if your going to do the conversion youd be beter off getting a doner car, youl need the drive shaft, manual conversion kit, full exhaust and alot of fidly bits

i honestly wouldnt bugger around fixing the origanal

i payed $1000 for my doner car.

good luck

jeremy

[Hi, if you decide to replace or repower your car, I could be interested in your dead M10 engine, whereabouts are you.

Cheers Gerry

[Hi, if you decide to replace or repower your car, I could be interested in your dead M10 engine, whereabouts are you.

Cheers Gerry

Auckland. I will keep this thread updated with progress. Car is currently waiting at mechanics.

Car was parked under a hoist with another car on it overnight, hoist crept down and dented front 1/4 panel and bonnet :(

Car is at panel beaters now.

Engine still hasn't been touched.

post-2310-1199778474_thumb.jpg

post-2310-1199778579_thumb.jpg

Engine has been taken apart! Reconditioned head is ready to go on.

However!

Today they noticed that the new head gasket does not match the cylinders. More inspection revealed that the pistons are 92mm... in an M10! At some point in its life the engine has been taken apart, bored out and had the pistons replaced. The pistons currently in it have a flat top, so look to be from a 6 cylinder variant. The cam shafts have also been replaced with "mild race" items.

Am currently waiting for a custom head gasket to be made up to fit the engine. The old gasket blew as it did was too small for the cylinders, so the pistons were continually hitting it.

There is also a radiator expansion tank, is there anyone else with an M10 that can confirm for me if they are supposed to have them from stock. From what we can tell the expansion tank is after market, as it has had a bracket made up to hold it in place.

*cough* turbo *cough*

I want to! Id have to convert to manual, which would be even more cost. Main thing holding me back is insurance, I wouldn't be able to get it :(

M10 never came with expansion tank. If it is to work, it has to be properly plumbed in, or all it ends up being is an overflow catch tank, in that the fluid dumped to it when the engine gets hot will not be sucked back when it cools.

I want to! Id have to convert to manual, which would be even more cost. Main thing holding me back is insurance, I wouldn't be able to get it :(

nah you'll be right. I've somehow managed to get 3rd party, fire and theft with AMI for $120 P/A for my M10 turbo. (as a 20 y/o with clean record)

nah you'll be right. I've somehow managed to get 3rd party, fire and theft with AMI for $120 P/A for my M10 turbo. (as a 20 y/o with clean record)

sh*t. I too am with AMI, 20 years old with a clean record. Currently paying $830ish P/A for my 318, however that is full cover with agreed value of $6,500. I have an excess of $750.

Is that the old " if you don't insure my son I will cancel the insurance for my both of my houses my boat and my brand new car trick ?

Do you have a cert mike ?

Oh sorry to Hijack, Good to hear you fixed the head did they comment on cylinder head hardness ?

I was told the alloy in my head was basically perfect for hadness after i blew my HG

Is that the old " if you don't insure my son I will cancel the insurance for my both of my houses my boat and my brand new car trick ?

Oh sorry to Hijack, Good to hear you fixed the head did they comment on cylinder head hardness ?

I was told the alloy in my head was basically perfect for hadness after i blew my HG

My parents also have a heap of stuff insured with AMI, so I get their "60% no claims bonus" which apparently helps...

The old head was cracked, so I have a replacement fully reconditioned head.

Nothing to do with my olds, been with them a while slowly modifying it and somehow they haven't given me the boot. I've disclosed everything to them aswell.

Car is currently legal and has been for a year.

Edited by Mike

I got it back today! Yay!

Motor work is all done, just the front guard and bonnet that needs painting and its all finished.

Took it for a drive, I don't think the engine has ever sounded or run better!

Heres what might seem like a stupid question.

I want to keep an eye on the water level, there is an overflow tank for the radiator... but M10's don't come with them stock so I figure its not really doing much, also when the car overheated the radiator was empty but the tank was full.

How can I check the water level?

Heres what might seem like a stupid question.

I want to keep an eye on the water level, there is an overflow tank for the radiator... but M10's don't come with them stock so I figure its not really doing much, also when the car overheated the radiator was empty but the tank was full.

How can I check the water level?

post up a pic-probably what will was saying above about it just being an overflow catch tank. hence why thats full and radiator empty. just unscrew rad cap and the water should be above the fins