Sign in to follow this  
KrypT

Considering purchasing BMW but have questions

Hi all,

I'm considering buying an E36 318 of some sort to replace my japanese car I sold recently.

What I need to know is, what are the E36 318's like as far as prices for replacement parts and maintenance parts go? e.g. headgaskets (reason I ask this one is cos my Japper at its headgasket before I sold it), headlights, oil filters, brake pads, etc.

I've never owned a european car before and just want to see how practical it would be for me own and maintain one. They seem to be becoming more and more common place on the roads these days and for reasonable prices.

Also, any gotchas, things to avoid, etc. with the E36 318's?

Any input appreciated.

There plenty of info out there on the net with regards to the E36. It has very well documented common problems so do a google search for "E36 Common Faults FAQ" and start reading.

As long as you're prepared to keep on top of maintenance issues and perhaps do a bit of the easier work yourself, then you should have no problems running a 318 for the same money as an equivalent Japanese car.

Good luck with your search.