Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

Mini Cooper

So the touring is at the dealers getting some work done and for the day theyve given me a new Cooper. I was rather apprehensive at first, being 6'5, but after sorting the seats out its been nothing but excellent fun.

Im sure Im probably only doing 30kph but these things give the impression that they are really shifting. Its great in manual and although the rear view mirror blokes half my view because its sits half way down the screen for the midgets who drive these things, I would really consider one if all I needed was something for around town.

The interior is pretty good, the seats are great, the suspension is very firm but it really lets you chuck them about and all I can say is Id rather be screaming around town than working today !

Great fun :)

Guest 540Si

So the touring is at the dealers getting some work done and for the day theyve given me a new Cooper. I was rather apprehensive at first, being 6'5, but after sorting the seats out its been nothing but excellent fun.

Im sure Im probably only doing 30kph but these things give the impression that they are really shifting. Its great in manual and although the rear view mirror blokes half my view because its sits half way down the screen for the midgets who drive these things, I would really consider one if all I needed was something for around town.

The interior is pretty good, the seats are great, the suspension is very firm but it really lets you chuck them about and all I can say is Id rather be screaming around town than working today !

Great fun :)

Nice one!

I'm yet to drive one but really keen. Everyone seems to rave about them.

I'm sure you'll find plenty of excuses to "pop out" now and then Martyyn ;)

Iv driven a couple and realy like them. They have a good feel the the 1.6 goes pretty good.

I used to have a Cooper as a company car. Man I gave that thing hell! It just stuck like sh*t to a blanket so gave you a LOT of confidence (too much in fact) to chuck it around tight bends at ridiculous speeds. I was out on the hills one day and made the mistake of lifting mid-corner to try to correct an understeer skid and nearly went off a bank! Needless to say I was a bit more careful after that!

I'd buy one but only if I had a lot of cash to chuck around, they're not very practical and cost a fair bit too.

Good to hear they're good, definitely look like fun little cars. Martyn I guess the Touring will have to go in to the dealer more regularly now... Or maybe not :unsure:

Slightly off topic, did you get charged $20/day for the loaner? It was unusual that you got a manual since usually they provided auto for loaners.

Did you get given the newer model or the old one? Mates Dad has a really smart looking 2007 John Cooper Works one. Only full Cooper Works in NZ at the moment. Nearly all the optional extras, Wheels, carbon spoilers and air scoop were all over $2000 each. Hauls Ass.

Slightly off topic, did you get charged $20/day for the loaner? It was unusual that you got a manual since usually they provided auto for loaners.

They said there was a charge for the loner but once I get in there to pay the substantial bill Im going to mention that another 20 for the car is a little steep.

On a side note, although I booked the car in for the work last week (so they knew what needed to be done) they didnt have all the parts and so had to order them from Auckland....so I have the mini today aswell :)

Shame its belting down with rain though :(

I'd buy one but only if I had a lot of cash to chuck around, they're not very practical and cost a fair bit too.

They are expensive to buy, but seem to depreciate a lot slower than most cars, so maybe not so expensive over 2-3 years of ownership.

Of course the seemingly high residuals could reflect people having an orgy with the options list and bumping the original price up some

They said there was a charge for the loner but once I get in there to pay the substantial bill Im going to mention that another 20 for the car is a little steep.

Do that, see what they say :-). Although it is not a very bad deal, getting a very well sorted car for $20/day. You'd get a Suzuki something or rather at Avis for $55/day!!!

Shame its belting down with rain though :(

Eh? Wouldn't it be more fun? The rear fidgeting on the slick tarmac ... a quick blip on the throttle ... the front tucking in neatly into the corner ...

Can you get the missus and the kids traveling comfortably in the Mini? It's a shame the rear is only for 2 pax, would be a very good car for school run.

Edited by 318Touring

Do that, see what they say :-)

Unfortunately I didnt get a chance to say anything, they didnt put it on the bill :)

Eh? Wouldn't it be more fun? The rear fidgeting on the slick tarmac ... a quick blip on the throttle ... the front tucking in neatly into the corner ...

Its front wheel drive so a little tricky in the wet, still had some great fun in it though

Can you get the missus and the kids traveling comfortably in the Mini? It's a shame the rear is only for 2 pax, would be a very good car for school run.

When Im driving no-one can get behind me ! It was great to have isofix in the rear but totally impractical with only two doors. I ended up sticking the baby in the front (minus the airbag) and the 4 year old in the back.

For around town it was simply superb, a good ride (perhaps a little firm), very nippy, easy access to all the controls etc, I thoroughly enjoyed it

:o

Yeah I know, but there have been a few things elsewhere that Ive not been happy about so I had to give them a crack....besides I got the mini !

My wide's lease Honda is finishing in a few month, I am thinking whether to go for a Mini or Fiat 500 for her.

Fiat seems to have excellent press at the moment. What do you guys think?

My wide's lease Honda is finishing in a few month, I am thinking whether to go for a Mini or Fiat 500 for her.

Fiat seems to have excellent press at the moment. What do you guys think?

My sister has a 93 Fiat Uno..Been in the family since new done 190xxx k's and never missed a beat!

But the new one's would be 100% different I suppose

Fiat 500 is my choice. Would you like a copy of the electronic brochure?

I have a copy from Conti's. $30k for one. I'd really like the Arbarth 500 though.

Italian style with Mini cool. It's got to be good.