Sign in to follow this  
mtk540

HELP !!! On board computer, indicator lights, instrument p

My wife borrowed my car (1999 E39 540i) and came back and said the indicator lights wont go off...

Here's what has happened:

1. When you push the Mode button the OBC screen in the centre console should give you the following options:

On Board computer......Television

Navigation...................Aux. vent

Setup..........................Monitor Off

(edited)

The only accessable menu options are Television, Navigation and Monitor Off

2. The indicators don't work. The right hand indicator dashboard light is on solid as if it is activated.

3. The instrument panel doesn't work. The speedo needle is struck on 40km and the tacho needle is stuck on 900rpm

4. With no key in the ignition the pixels are lit up for all usual display options but the display for gear selection is stuck in D

5. When you push in the button on the indicator stalk you can usually scroll through the OBC display options. This doesn't work

6. The rear tail light indicators (both sides) are on but not flashing.

7. The service lights don't come up on startup

I can start and drive the car but the OBC and instrument panel seemed stuffed!

It's still under warranty. As its after 5 I can't even take it down to the local BMW dealer until tomorrow.

Anyone have any ideas??? PLEASE ?????

Mike

Edited by mtk540

My wife borrowed my car (1999 E39 540i) and came back and said the indicator lights wont go off...

Here's what has happened:

1. When you push the Mode button the OBC screen in the centre console should give you the following options:

On Boad computer.......Television

Navigation...................Aux. vent

Setup..........................Monitor Off

(edited)

The only accessable menu options are Television, Navigation and Monitor Off

2. The indicators don't work. The right hand indicator dashboard light is on solid as if it is activated.

3. The instrument panel doesn't work. The speedo needle is struck on 40km and the tacho needle is stuck on 900rpm

4. With no key in the ignition the pixels are lit up for all usual display options but the display for gear selection is stuck in D

5. When you push in the button on the indicator stalk you can usually scroll through the OBC display options. This doesn't work

6. The rear tail light indicators (both sides) are on but not flashing.

7. The service lights don't come up on startup

I can start and drive the car but the OBC and instrument panel seemed stuffed!

It's still under warranty. As its after 5 I can't even take it down to the local BMW dealer until tomorrow.

Anyone have any ideas??? PLEASE ?????

Mike

dont worry....I have heard of this before and think the fix is easy..

Hey Mike,

This sounds serious. I have never heard or read of anything like that, electrical problems on an E39 doesn't really surprise me but this one sounds really bad. Since it's under warranty I suggest you bring it to the dealer before touching anything lest they decline your claim if you do something. If you really wanted to try something I'd go pulling fuses related to the cluster (if there are any), or perhaps even unplugging the connectors on the back of the cluster.

The way I see it, the computer has frozen and you need to reboot it.

Easy fix that should do it ("should") is disconnect the battery for a half hour or so, i work at the peugeot dealership in Hastings and that trick usaully works for little electrical faults etc etc. Hey all you can do is try it, won't hurt.

Cheers.

dont worry....I have heard of this before and think the fix is easy..

and so the fix is .. ??????

..... The way I see it, the computer has frozen and you need to reboot it.

Thanks Yuen, was wondering if you would see this post.

I'll take it in to Chch BMW first thing

Have just come in from having another look - it's the brake lights and centre stop light that are still on so I've tried taking out the fuse (#41) so it won't draw too much current from the battery overnight but the lights are still on ... now that's real strange! Also thought hey, let's disconnect the plug from the tail light units - the lugs won't release from the unit. Then I thought, let's just take the bulbs out - burnt my fingers!!! Lights are still on ...

So I hope its just a re-boot and not a new OBC...

Greg111 - thanks. I might leave it as is until the morning and hope she doesn't run flat!

Thanks guys

If the brake lights and third brake light are on through the night I would expect the battery to be dead by the morning. I think at this point you should do what Greg said, disconnect the battery, at least you have an excuse for doing so :) And reconnect the battery in the morning, the computer will have reset by then.

Wondering why the lights still work if the fuse is out. Maybe there's another fuse?

Edited by Yuen

Update

Took Greg111's advice backed up by Nick021 and disconnected the battery for 5 mins.

Yuen, as you say, the battery would probably have died anyway.

EUREKA - It's all go!

All I had to do was reset the time and date on the OBC. Only lost some historical fuel consumption data on CONS1.

I can sleep now

Thanks guys - this forum really does work!

Mike

Woohoo! Glad it's fixed. Hope it doesn't happen again. Forgot to mention that maybe you should make sure you have your radio code if it happens to require it after disconnecting the battery.

A lot of these strange bugs on these cars can fix themselves after the battery has been isolated then reconnected.

Any strange antics like this - first thing to try is disconnecting the battery to see if it resets - can often save a lot of anxiety.

Soooo is the wife now allowed to drive it anymore? <_<

after a bit of searching it seems that "the electrical portion of the ignition switch" can cause problems .Common on e39....maybe mention that to CH CH bmw at some time....low battery voltages can also play havoc with the elctrical systems..maybe get battery checked too.Glad to see we were able to help

Thanks again guys for the tips and the research.

It's due for a service soon so I'll mention what happened.

Yes, I'll let the Boss drive it again but she prefers her Audi

Mike

Bit late but I've had that happen on my E39 (nearly exactly the same) and a nice reboot sorted it also.

Thanks again guys for the tips and the research.

It's due for a service soon so I'll mention what happened.

Yes, I'll let the Boss drive it again but she prefers her Audi

Mike

Hey man, i'm glad it worked, always a bit frightning when that sort of thing happens, instantly see big bills comming your way.