Sign in to follow this  
matwithe30

i dont mean to be a downer

today i was driving down to work...(as i do every weekday) and what i saw bought shame to the people who really care about bmw's and even cars. and a total disregard for another humans life...ill explain

minding my own business when the bmw inhead of me which i was admiring ran a red and hit a cyclist. and didnt stop. now being a good person i helped the poor guy whose bike (fully carbon fibre) was a wreck. by the time my brain had clicked onto what had happened the silver e36 3.20 was too far away to get the plates. someone must know of a bmw fitting that description with what would now be atleast a dented bumper and bonnet on the north shore. it was a bunch of young hoons. i hope these guys are caught.

thats just not right. it just gives us bmw enthusiats a bad name.

sorry to whinge

Yo, can you provide us with more info, was it lowered, tinted, the rims? Any thing would be usefull...

Don't worry, u'r not whinging, I would love to see these guy's brought to justice. That's just fully WRONG what they did!Did you get the contact details from the cyclist or have this reported to the cops?

I'm sure many of us on here will keep a lookout.

Cheers

Kerashin

Edited by Kpax

F&ckers. Good work for stopping to help the cyclist.

I cycle a bit (especially more recently - fair weather cyclist!) - its been a bad couple weeks - been shouted at to get off the road a few times, usually by dicks who get caught in traffic 300m later (eg Tamaki Drive). Some chick did a u-turn in front of me and I hit her (just, right at the FRONT of her car, she really screwed it up)...

... so everyone be nice to cyclists. No friggin' protection on a bike, it's kinda scary.

That's terrible. Was the cyclist okay?

Any more details on the car? Must have stood out if you were admiring it.

The thing to always remember in cases like these - get the plate. On the bright side those young hoons are much more serious trouble if they fail to stop at an accident. Lets hope they get caught.

Wankers that they did not stop. But at this time of the year you would have to be crazy to ride a bike on any road. Maybe someone dobbed them in.

I see so many people do stupid things to get infront of the "slower" cyclist. I dont think I could ever put my life in the hands of NZ motorists just to get fit on a bike.

But at this time of the year you would have to be crazy to ride a bike on any road.

I think that's a pretty unfair comment, bikes are still a form of transport and they have the same rights, look at it from a cyclist's point of view. And it's summer. NZ is already much better than other countries for cycling, great weather and apart from idiots such as in this case, cyclists are still respected a fair bit more here compared to some other countries.

Wasn't a ghetto chromed out one with for sale on the back in bombing was it?

See that dude every day and he gives me the up and down and does dumb sh*t like neutral into drive skids and overtaking etc.

But I'm still lower so I win.

only way on a bike is to be super aggressive (if you can) and assume every single motorist is a retard

In fairness, alot of cyclists do think they own the lane they're pedling in and force other drivers to overtake due to the speed etc especially when the cyclist is over a metre+ from the curb. Whenever I bike (relatively often) when on the road I make sure I can keep up the pace, if not move as far to the curb as possible or if footpath is free and driveways are easily seen, pop up on the footpath!

NZ is not geared up to have cyclists everywhere! If we had more bus/cycle lanes, then there wouldn't be as much issues as we have.

But also, think it was mentioned in another thread, that NZ drivers should be educated with police adverts, not constantly 'dumbed' upon.

In fairness, alot of cyclists do think they own the lane they're pedling in and force other drivers to overtake due to the speed etc especially when the cyclist is over a metre+ from the curb. Whenever I bike (relatively often) when on the road I make sure I can keep up the pace, if not move as far to the curb as possible or if footpath is free and driveways are easily seen, pop up on the footpath!

NZ is not geared up to have cyclists everywhere! If we had more bus/cycle lanes, then there wouldn't be as much issues as we have.

But also, think it was mentioned in another thread, that NZ drivers should be educated with police adverts, not constantly 'dumbed' upon.

well summed up, I agree entirely with what JP is saying.

still no excuse to 'hit and run' they should have stopped ASAP.

Yeah I know NZ is a nice place to Ride your bikes. What I mean by you must be crazy this time of the year to ride one, is that there is still alot of stress and rushing around by people driving cars. As I said. Why would you want to put your life in the hands of the crazy drivers in NZ at this time of the year.

What does piss me off is the cyclists who are riding cross country. The ones who get the stupid idea to ride on State Highway 1 and 2 during xmas/new year. They are not only endangering themself but drivers too. Drivers will do retarded crap to get past a cyclist.

Totally Agree - And im a kean Mtb/Road Cyclist

What does piss me off is the cyclists who are riding cross country. The ones who get the stupid idea to ride on State Highway 1 and 2 during xmas/new year. They are not only endangering themself but drivers too. Drivers will do retarded crap to get past a cyclist.

Yeah haha, when working at a inner-city bike shop we had HEAPS of tourists keen on MTB that would pedal up to Woodhill etc - fook that!

I hate how AK City Council push cycling and public transport yet cycling lanes and the bus service is no-way near up to par with what's needed! I'm really sick of our hippy nation, as soon as I have a degree I'm out of here! /rant

Ah come on - I ride as close as possible to the kerb but.....

... frequently not that close.

I ride out of the gutter to avoid glass and drains, away from parked cars in areas its likely to have a driver door opened (eg Tamaki Drive through Okahu, Mission or Kohi), and right in the middle of my lane (edit - lol I call it "my" lane) on narrow 4 lane streets where there isn't room to pass me.

Good example - Great North Rd down towards Waterview interchange (coming from Avondale). Every 100m or so is a drain grate I CAN'T ride through, so I ride wide enough not to (I'm not going to swerve for each one - that's REALLY dangerous). I also ride wide enough to hopefully discourage people from squeezing past because it's really too narrow down there for 2 cars and a bike.

Edited by CamB

sorry guys a didnt get more of a description but i admire any bmw so it was just a plain jane e36.

i support cycling in NZ. my family do the iron mans (im to freakin lazy) and they have to train and what not so i support them doing that. and more power to the people who can peddle their ass up a big hill

the cyclist was ok....just a few cuts and bruises. but was more worried about his bike!

Idiot cyclists piss me off. you see them riding 2 wide on narrow roads, and will quite happily meander along in ignorant bliss. Happens off road too. Karapoti is one of the few places your allowed dirtbikes. we'll be on our side of the road come round a blind corner and they're 2 up! Our bikes aren't quiet so they know we're coming and its an area known for bikes. Worse still they'll move back even after a near miss and try suicide once more. munters. happens far more than you'd think.

Hate to wonder what you you all think about horses on the road.

There are plenty of signs about saying keep your distance from cyclists and horses.

I dont find over taking a cyclist or a horse harder then it is to over take another car. Use the oncoming traffics lane, if you cant dont pass! Simple as that.

And F**k ya'll who toot your horns and yell abuse, :rolleyes:

Can't remember the last time I past a horse on the road. Horse riders seem to take a bit more care though. And being an animal that can be scared by loud things I slow down for them.