Sign in to follow this  
Driftit

E30 Rear Sway Bars

Just wondering if there is a thicker sway bar I can replace my stock 325 one with. Is there a thicker one from another model of BMW that I could pick up second hand or do I need to get one new thats made for the E30 in particular.

I want to stiffen up the rear a little more for a more slidey rear end.

Sway Bar Sizes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stock:

318i(m10): Front: 18mm Rear: none

318is(m42): Front: 20mm Rear: 12mm

318ic(m42): Front: 21mm Rear: 12mm

325e(pre 9/86): Front: 18.5mm Rear: 12mm

325e(9/86): Front: 20mm Rear: 12mm

325i(m20): Front: 20mm Rear: 12mm

325is(m20): Front: 20mm Rear: 12mm

325ic(m20): Front: 21mm Rear: 12mm

325ix(M20): Front: 17mm Rear: 14.5mm

325ix Touring(M20): Front: 18mm Rear: 14.5mm

M3(s14): Front: 19mm Rear: 14.5mm

Aftermarket:

AC Schnitzer: Front: 20mm Rear: 16mm

Eibach: Front: 20mm Rear: 16mm

Suspension Techniques: Front: 22mm Rear: 19mm

Ireland Engineering (adjustable): Front: 25mm Rear: 22mm

H&R (adjustable): Front: 22mm Rear: 18mm

Racing Dynamics Early Style (adjustable): Front: 22mm Rear: 16mm

Racing Dynamics Late Style (adjustable): Front: 22mm Rear: 19mm

M-Technik: Front: 20mm Rear: 14.5mm

Found that on www.r3vlimited.com

Edited by bmw3

I read that the 325e's were beefier than M3's...

325e(pre 9/86): Front: 18.5mm Rear: 12mm

Omg I got a 1/86 325e... I gotta upgrade these bushes so might as well do the complete bar too. List is very helpful, thanks.

The 325i ones are thicker than the m3 ones but only because the m3 ones mount in a different place and don't need to be as thick. M3 ones are actually better in how they perform. Ive got a 24mm whiteline swaybar in the front and about to put my 16mm adjustable one in the rear. You can buy them for around $600 total all up here in NZ

I did manage to track some down for the E30. Mate of mine can bring them in quite cheap.

I unfortunately never really reached the point of actually bothering with suspension. Had a couple worked cars and stock ride hide and suspension, just concentrated on power and boat into and out from corners. The Eta definately needs a locker in the rear for the dry and corners... from launch I can LSD launch, however going around corners its single dirty open wheeler burnout.

I guess it's the strut brace and sway bars that make the car not feel like jelly? It feels like the back end is alot crappier than when I first bought it. I got a month left of licence and have been caining the poor 325e. The steering rack at full lock makes a little noise also. But meh, even if it is full rebuild. At the end of the day I dont think I can find a better car that I like with the features of the E30 for the size. I want racecar!!

I guess it's the strut brace and sway bars that make the car not feel like jelly?

not exactly. I'd put it down to rubber and shocks that are probably 20 years old. Change out all the bushings with urethane, go for a nice spring and shock combo. then worry about braces and sway bar upgades.

Ok full nolathane bush kit it will be.

Apparently the shocks were just changed recently. They feel good and tight. What I am thinking is changing the springs, and bushings. I think the jelly-ness is the bushes which have crapped themselves over the couple weeks I've had the car :P