Sign in to follow this  
R90S

Hi. I haven't got an E30

Hi folks, I've been lurking on and off for a while, and I'm still not sure if I'm in the right place. No doubt you'll let me know if I'm not!!!

I have an E3 3.0S built in 1974. I've done a bit of searching through old posts, and can't find anyone referring to the E3 at all. I bought it two years ago because the E3 2500 I already had was going to need both arms and part of a leg to take care of the rust, paintwork, interior and misc. The 3.0S was an attractive option because its bodywork is rustfree and very presentable, and the interior is mint. I haven't done anything on the car yet due to a motorcycle project that I wanted to finish first, but since that's done I can start looking at the E3.

The engine was overheated and popped the headgasket, and the auto is goosed. I just bought a tired E12 525 for very few $$$ a few weeks ago with a manual box. The plan is to swap the manual box into the E3 and get rid of the slushbox, and rob a few other bits while I'm at it. The E3 is a light metallic blue, and I have a set of 15" Simmons two piece alloys to go on the car when I get closer to getting it running.

So am I the only one here with an orphan?

:>)

Nick

Sounds very a very cool Project, Welcome to bimmersport.

Pics !!!

Can't wait to see it all going for ya.

Hi and welcome.... you've sure spent a lot of time lurking around!

I'm not sure you'll find many members on here with a car like yours unfortunately! I'm guessing you're a BMW car club member too?

If you haven't already, check out the article in the latest Total BMW mag on a 1972 3.0CSL that's powered with an engine from an E12 M535i. Fascinating read.

Welcome, looking forward to seeing your progress.

+1 on the 3.0CSL article in Total BMW

Hi and welcome.... you've sure spent a lot of time lurking around!

I'm not sure you'll find many members on here with a car like yours unfortunately! I'm guessing you're a BMW car club member too?

If you haven't already, check out the article in the latest Total BMW mag on a 1972 3.0CSL that's powered with an engine from an E12 M535i. Fascinating read.

Yeah I have that article. I bought the mag a few days ago. It's an amazing car.

I've never been a member of the BMW car club. I've been involved on and off with the BMW bike club for many years and been on a joint club run to the Waingaro hot pools (probably 20 yrs ago now....). I had recently considered joining the car club, since we also have an E36 M3 convertible (pre-Evo) and a slightly tweaked 2002 in the shed. They have been on the fleet for a few years now, but car club membership hasn't been a high priority, especially since I got my bike back on the road 18 months ago. We will probably sell the 2002 soon, regrettably.

I've included an unflattering photo of the E3, taken outside a motel in Taupo after buying it in Hastings.

Posted Image

Welcome. Lovely cars. Rxsumo also has one (at least).

We'll look forward to seeing it around.

just to prove that there are some older cars here,last years BBQ of the car club.A number of posters here are also car club members

Welcome Nick, yep, as said - there are a few oldie cars on here too - our E12 is only 4 yrs younger & from a similar mould.

By the way - Im after a couple of trim bits for the E12 that you may be able to help with before you lose it to the knackers yard

Welcome Nick, yep, as said - there are a few oldie cars on here too - our E12 is only 4 yrs younger & from a similar mould.

By the way - Im after a couple of trim bits for the E12 that you may be able to help with before you lose it to the knackers yard

You'd be welcome to trim parts. Give me a ring on mobile 021 404 443 and sort out a time that suits. We live about 5km from the old Meremere power station.

The 525 is currently complete, unmolested and drivable - I fired it up when I got it home and did some skids on the lawn.

Nick

would be keen if your 02 is a roundie, manual and of course at the right price. :)

It is a roundie, manual, and the price will be fair.

It's white, on 14" minilites, with 2002 Turbo style guards and chin spoiler, Recaro front seats, and TI twin carbs. The car will probably be familiar to a few guys on the forum, because it was originally built up in Auckland (by Guido Locher I believe) several years ago and was well known at the time.

If you'd like to see it, give me a call. 021 404 443. We have friends in Raglan who have also expressed an interest, but they are waiting for a house to sell first.

Nick

Hey Nick,

RXSumo is the godfather of all things E3, I have got in my collection of broken old bmw's a 3.0si manual with a full length webasto roof...........it a few shades of white currently, but is being rebuilt as I type, have put it on late model e60 16" rims, not sure what they look like yet as this was done once I left Akl, have a couple of pics as I purchased it, lovely old cruiser, have put new shocks in it had rust cut out and currently having sunroof rebuilt, then it will be interior and fresh coat of jam........

I have also just picked up a very rusty green 2800 auto that will slowly be restored, its all complete but body has big holes in it..........

SD European have a sad and sorry body in their yard......there may be a few good bits to pick off it........

Nice to have another E3'er out there.

post-323-1200963630_thumb.jpg

post-323-1200963686_thumb.jpg

Edited by oldskool

Hey Nick,

RXSumo is the godfather of all things E3, I have got in my collection of broken old bmw's a 3.0si manual with a full length webasto roof...........it a few shades of white currently, but is being rebuilt as I type, have put it on late model e60 16" rims, not sure what they look like yet as this was done once I left Akl, have a couple of pics as I purchased it, lovely old cruiser, have put new shocks in it had rust cut out and currently having sunroof rebuilt, then it will be interior and fresh coat of jam........

I have also just picked up a very rusty green 2800 auto that will slowly be restored, its all complete but body has big holes in it..........

SD European have a sad and sorry body in their yard......there may be a few good bits to pick off it........

Nice to have another E3'er out there.

Hi, it's encouraging to know I'm not alone!!!

I wasn't aware that SD had a body still in stock. I have a 2500 auto that I originally bought almost 15 years ago and did a lot of work on, including a replacement s/h engine and gearbox. I intended to finish it until I added up the cost of removing the rust, repainting to a reasonable standard and refurbishing the interior.

When I saw the 3.0S advertised in Hastings, I took a day off and went for a drive to look at it. Didn't take long to figure out that with a tidy rustfree shell with a tidy original interior was easier (and WAY cheaper) to get back on the road as well as being a more desirable model anyway. It only has 150,000km on the clock, and came off the road almost 10 years ago due to a bypass hose bursting and taking out the head gasket. It had been stored in a drafty barn with a concrete floor and a car cover - very unusual for a cow cocky.

So my 2500 is now my parts car. Its rego is still alive, (and with a jumpstart it would probably still run) but it's now worth more to me in bits.

Nick

Ironically, there are two E3's for sale on TradeMe at the moment.