Sign in to follow this  
rogan

E39 stereo upgrade

FATGAS

(for anyone that gives a sh!t)

Have started my stereo install and have posted a thread on both Bimmerforums and NZice forums.

In a nutshell, the whole factory system is being replaced:

Headunit: Alpine IVA-W202

Shuttle: Alpine CHA-S624 (if I can get the damn thing to go!)

Processor: Alpine PXA-H701

Amps: Image Dynamics Q series when they're released later this year. Currently hooked uo some Bostons.

Front speakers: Image Dynamics CD2pro horns, Image Dynamics XS69 midbass

Rears: Image Dynamics CTX5

Subs: Image Dynamics IDmax or IDQv3.

Sound deadening: Dynamat Extreme

Rushing to get it done before wife drops a sprog so will be a work in progress.

Linky to Bimmerforums here http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=913748

PS. Ray - hurry up and find me some door cards fella

ill keep an eye on this could come handy in the future as im guessin the way the sound system is installed in an e39 would be very similar to an e38

Ooh always wanted to see someone do an E39 sound system properly.

How do the ID amps go with the subs?

How do the ID amps go with the subs?

ID announced them at CES but they're not due for release until 2nd quarter 2008 and to be frank ID havén't been great at keeping to release times.

The mono does:

400rms at 4ohm, 800 at 2, and 1200 at 1 so should mate nicely with a single IDmax or a pair of IDQ. The other amps are a 75x4 and a 175x2 (from memory). Thinking a mono on the subs(s) and a mono for each midbass. Not sure what to do for rears and horns, probably just get a 75x4

Only 9 months since the last update.

Trying to get the amps and subs done before Chrimbo. Rapid Radio have the spare door cards and I don't think there's been much / any progress.

Few teaser pics

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by rogan

There's a nice mod that's been done by serious SQ guys over in Aus to the processor. I'll PM you a link to it tonight if you're interested.

Just read your thread on bimmerforums. Now I see why you're going 6x9's! A bit disappointed you've let someone else make your pods, but hopefully they turn out good. I like the overkill on most things, but I think your limiting factor will be speaker placement (like most other bmws..)

I see you like your image dynamics :D

There's a nice mod that's been done by serious SQ guys over in Aus to the processor. I'll PM you a link to it tonight if you're interested.

Think I've seen it, that's where they replace some of the components. There's a guy in Italy who's gone way overboard doing a similar thing. Totally out of my league.

Just read your thread on bimmerforums. Now I see why you're going 6x9's! A bit disappointed you've let someone else make your pods, but hopefully they turn out good. I like the overkill on most things, but I think your limiting factor will be speaker placement (like most other bmws..)

I could get away with a mono amp and 1 sub, a 2channel for the mids and a 4 channel for horns and rears but hey what the hell.

I would never have considered 6x9s before speaking to Eric Stevens (Image Dynamics designer/owner). He is making an 8" in the same range for the people who won't believe that oval can sound good but reckons the 6x9 is better than the 8 on most if not all levels.

I see you like your image dynamics :D

It does help being the NZ distributor.

Update, still waiting for the amp rack to be welded up - they should be ready this week but then there's trial fitting before powdercoating. Have got just about everything ready but welders are holding me up. Christmas finish on the amps not looking likely now

Ahh Mr 650wrms into each midbass. Zuki you are a mad man. Props

Ha, yeah I think I'm gonna need to be a titch conservative with the gains or there could be a project phoenix in my front doors.

Just about finished this install now so time for a quick highlights tour. 16 months in the making, would have been heaps quicker if I wasn't under the thumb.

Front end:

Alpine IVA-W202

Posted Image

(note the bezel has been replaced since as this one was unpainted)

Processor and amps:

Alpine H701 processor

Image Dynamics ID Q450.4 for horns and rears

2x ID Q700.2 for midbass

2x ID Q1200.1 for subs

Posted Image

Horns:

ID CD2pro

Posted Image Posted Image

Midbass:

ID X69

Big thanks to the guys at Rapid for making the pods

Subs:

2 x IDMax12 dual 4 in trunk baffle

Shuttles:

Alpine optical DVD and CD shuttles

Posted Image

Horn loaded compression drivers otherwise known as HLCDs. In very simple terms, they're a type of tweeter, but completely different to a tweeter! They play 1khz up as opposed to tweeters which are usually say 4khz up, and are hugely efficient. Downside is that some people just don't like the way they sound. They were popular in high end car audio in the US in the early to late 1990s but aren't common anymore.

Love the optical DVD player !

I'm going to look for a non-optical DVD player and compare the difference.

Where can I find non-optical DVDs?

Seriously: why 2 x changers?

Surely one would suffice...!!

Surprisingly you can put CDs in the DVD shuttle! :lol:

2 changers cos they were cheap on trademe. There's another optical CD shuttle somewhere in my garage too!

The bad part is there's only one optical input for the shuttles into the processor and the DVD takes that under the ai-net protocol. I should pull the dvd shuttle out, would give me somewhere to hide the tyreweld cans.