Sign in to follow this  
Driftit

Changing out Brake Fluid

How do I go about doing this? Is it an easy task to do on your driveway or is there special tools to do it?

This is for my race series car which is not yet going.

I am installing my new callipers, rotors, and braided lines.

Whats the process to drain it all out?

This is for my race series car which is not yet going.

I'm not sure I'd want to be doing this for the first time on a car I'd be taking to the track...

Google "brake bleeding", or try this:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticl...ding_Brakes.htm

Just use the family member method, and keep doing it until the old fluid is out and their are no bubbles.

Cheers. Done it quite a few times just to get rid of air in the lines. But was wondering if there was an easy process to drain it 100%.

easiest way is to collect a few ice cream containers, every time you undo a line, stick one underneath to catch the fluid that drains out.

If you pump it through, you shouldn't get air in the lines, that's all (and glad you've done it before - was getting worried there).

I find the difficulty is telling when I've got old out and new in, so if someone has a flash way of doing it, I'm all ears.

Yeah will get onto this. Dont really want to waste my nice high temp fluid though. So yeah I am also keen to know when it goes from old to new.

It does mention in that guide a brand that makes two different colors. Now that would be handy.

And if any seasoned E30 Race series driver who is using hi temp fluid reads this. How often are you changing your fluid. From what I understand it should be after every race weekend.

Yeah will get onto this. Dont really want to waste my nice high temp fluid though. So yeah I am also keen to know when it goes from old to new.

It does mention in that guide a brand that makes two different colors. Now that would be handy.

And if any seasoned E30 Race series driver who is using hi temp fluid reads this. How often are you changing your fluid. From what I understand it should be after every race weekend.

only brake 2 or 3 times round puke and races are only 8 laps, near impossible to boil even standard fluid let alone hi temp stuff, therefore i'd say changing it after every meet is a bit overkill, although in theory you should do it after every meet but it gets pricey heh.

Yeah thats what I was thinking. The cars are light and slow. Will just keep checking it to be safe.

I would be doing a rebuild on all brake master/slave cylinders/calipers if I were in your shoes. While they are off use compressed air to blow the lines clean and buy a new set of flexible hoses (pref braided ones) while you are at it. Euro-Italian (forum sponsor)sells them quite cheaply so it is not worth skimping and using the old ones. This way you are guaranteed to get a full charge of spanking new moisture free brake fluid!

Old cylinders get corroded from years of nobody bothering to properly flush the brake fluid annually, and the last thing you want is to have a seal burst when you really have to stamp on the brakes when going flat out down the main straight to avoid David who has just parked his car into the armco... (sorry David, couldn't resist a dig.. :D )

Cost of a hone/resleeve and new rubbers (or new cylinders worst case scenario) is minimal compared to what not stopping could cost.

my 2c worth

Will

I have replaced everything with new items. New EBC rotors, rebuilt calipers, EBC braided lines, new master cyl. Have two spare rebuilt calipers too. So cheap to rebuild I thought I may aswell.

in my experience you can see the new fluid coming through.....ideally you need three people..one pumping,one topping up the resevoir and you at the caliper watching for new fluid.....

From my experience, just use different colours as you have mentioned, works a treat