Sign in to follow this  
Shucks

Help - I need to get my car valued

Hey all,

I need to get my bimmer valued for insurance purposes as they keep devaluing it each year, I would have thought being that it is a 1984 car it is pretty much devalued as much as it was going to get, unless I rolled bowled and a**holed it, aparently not.

I need to go through a licenced dealer and get a valuation in writing, I know my car is a bit of a bitser, but it's my baby so is really well looked after which means it's mint and has been rebuilt using only genuine parts, can anyone suggest somewhere that is going to give it a fair valuation?

Thanks for your help.

For those of you who don't know what my car looks like here it is:

post-1628-1202158792_thumb.jpg

post-1628-1202158802_thumb.jpg

Sorry mate I cant help with a valuation on your car, but I wouldve thought a dealer wouldve been the best bet.

However there is an e38 730iL on Trademe at the moment where the seller is advertising that he has a written valuation from the dealers saying the car is worth over 10k.

The reality is that he will be lucky to get 6k, maybe even less as its been on at with no reserve with no takers.

Valuations for insurance are tricky but one thing I learnt was that alot of insurance companies actually have 'bands' for their valuations. For example you will pay the same money for a car valued at 11k as 14k because they have a 10-15k 'band'

So Ive always valued my cars at the top of the band and paid the same monthly amounts.

Find a freindly car dealer or drive down and see Alex in Hamilton, hes one of the sponsors "Carspot" or give Alex a call

Guest Simon*

Nice E28 Kimmie ;)

Can you do an agreed value rather than market value for it? You say it's worth say $8K always (because of it's age) and they charge you the same rate every time you pay?

I've had agreed value for cars in the past

Yeah agreed value means I still need a valuation unfortunately.

*update*

State just called me, I've been with them for 10 years, the car has been insured with them for 2 but they will no longer insure it after closer inspection as it's too modified, apparently they have a new computer system and if it's over 25% modified it's no longer insurable, fantastic! So that's a big thanks for your business over the last ten years, we'll insure your evo 5 but not your bimmer now f.off.

*Another update*

BMW Insurance are going to cover my car for a really good value, premium and excess, yay!

They did laugh that it's the oldest car on their books though =)

*Another update*

BMW Insurance are going to cover my car for a really good value, premium and excess, yay!

They did laugh that it's the oldest car on their books though =)

And.... the agreed value was.... dun dun duuuuun.....

And.... the agreed value was.... dun dun duuuuun.....

Haha, 10k so that it ensures my mods are covered and I'm not out of pocket.

I've seen this car around Manurewa a fair bit, you live out this way?

Used to have the same problem years ago with our 1978 E12 - They (AMI) used to keep devaluing each year until I squealed loud enough.

It was being compared to other "old" BMW's (as to be expected) - most of which by then were just shitters. I told them to find me a better example of the same car in the country - this car is MINT, low milage with complete history from leaving the factory. We agreed on 9k which has stood for probably the last 8 -10 yrs - maybe an overkill but its rarity condition wise stands it out from most others & makes it incomparible with.

Its value is only what somebody perceives it to be from a collectors point of view & its insurance value is only of interest to me to cover it being written off, nicked or burnt.

Goes to show though - Not all apples are the same!

i have the same prob with AA insurance on my M535i e28 1986 with 496,000km on it . now it has a M5 engine .

whats it worth .

i had it at $6k 2years ago , but they only want to do about $2k . i think now about $15k

nice car, must have been you sitting behind me at the lights the other day?

You've got the bimmersport sticker on the top of your rear window? If so yup that was me, toot toot.

We could be twinnies? :D

post-1118-1202201431_thumb.jpg

Hehe, just don't try to race me, I call my car mumma slug, got to do an engine transplant!

Yup def goes to show not all apples are the same, thanks for your imput, past experiences and opinions guys.

Brent your M535i, 2k? What a joke! I drove one of those with the standard engine when I was looking at going genuine instead of my bitser, beautiful car, can only imagine what it would go like with the M5 engine in it now, it looks mint aswell, I def go for between 10-15k, 2k is laughable.