Sign in to follow this  
dereklau007

Mechanical Insurance

Any suggestions out there in regards to a good provider for Mechanical Insurance? Any particular one I should stay away from? Would like to hear any good or bad stories about your experience just so that I make an informed decision.

Any suggestions out there in regards to a good provider for Mechanical Insurance? Any particular one I should stay away from? Would like to hear any good or bad stories about your experience just so that I make an informed decision.

From a repairers point of view, I find Lumley, Motorplus and Autosure (Vero) the easiest to deal with. Always buy the dearest policy you can afford, because they have repair limits and different excesses. Your policy does not include service items, general maintainence, wear & tear or expendibles. The policies are only for the mechanical failure of a part and they will not cover pre-existing faults with the vehicle at the point of sale. Failure to service at correct intervals will invalidate your warranty and you would have to apply in writing to get it reinstigated.

On a public forum, I would not state which Companies to stay away from.... sorry....it's not the done thing. And I would suggest that others don't.

Any information I am quite happy to give you over the phone.....just ring me

If you are in Auckland, I can sell you a Motorplus warranty after an inspection

A 3 year warranty with $150 excess costs $1050.oo over 2000cc

A 3 year warranty with $250 excess costs $1000.oo over 2000cc

Its $200 cheaper if the car is under 2000cc

These prices are for Euro Exotic motor vehicles

So long as the car has not covered more than 175,000 km and is not over 12 years old

I cannot give a Forum discount on these policies. However I can do the inspection for $100 the same cost as a pre-purchase inspection for forum members.

Cheers

Glenn

Edited by botanymotorworx

From a repairers point of view, I find Lumley, Motorplus and Autosure (Vero) the easiest to deal with. Always buy the dearest policy you can afford, because they have repair limits and different excesses. Your policy does not include service items, general maintainence, wear & tear or expendibles. The policies are only for the mechanical failure of a part and they will not cover pre-existing faults with the vehicle at the point of sale. Failure to service at correct intervals will invalidate your warranty and you would have to apply in writing to get it reinstigated.

On a public forum, I would not state which Companies to stay away from.... sorry....it's not the done thing. And I would suggest that others don't.

Thanks for that. Would the Mechanical Insurance also cover for electrical faults? With servicing at correct intervals; does that mean adhering to the BMW schedule? Or is it the usual servicing of fluids etc. I just want to be able to make a sound decision whether to get Mechanical Insurance or not. Thanks in advance

With servicing at correct intervals; does that mean adhering to the BMW schedule?

Lumley used to require you to service the vehicle every 10k to not invalidate your policy but the warnings on the dashboard tend to go to the 15k mark.

Thanks for that. Would the Mechanical Insurance also cover for electrical faults? With servicing at correct intervals; does that mean adhering to the BMW schedule? Or is it the usual servicing of fluids etc. I just want to be able to make a sound decision whether to get Mechanical Insurance or not. Thanks in advance

It would cover failure of electrical items listed in the warranty policy. I can send you a proposal. You must abide by the schedule that the warranty company sets out. Normaly 10,000 km servicing schedules dependant on policy and vehicle.

If you own a BMW, its best that you also adhere to the BMW service recommendations as well.

Cheers

Glenn

It would cover failure of electrical items listed in the warranty policy. I can send you a proposal. You must abide by the schedule that the warranty company sets out. Normaly 10,000 km servicing schedules dependant on policy and vehicle.

If you own a BMW, its best that you also adhere to the BMW service recommendations as well.

Cheers

Glenn

That would be fantastic if you could send me the Motorplus proposal if it's a soft copy could you send it to dereklau007@yahoo.com? I live in One Tree Hill and just curious if there are any authorised repairers around this area or would I need to go to your specific workshop? Thanks in advance

Regards

Derek

Edited by Derek007

Lumley used to require you to service the vehicle every 10k to not invalidate your policy but the warnings on the dashboard tend to go to the 15k mark.

Thanks for that, just goes to show that you learn something new everyday.

Regards

Derek

Autosure are great, I have cover on my car with them now.

You might pay a couple of hundred dollars more than the other ones (from memory it was $1300 for 3 years), but you get NO EXCESS.

Be careful with excesses, as they can sometimes sting you multiple times. A mate had cover with another company and needed a coil on his Subaru replaced. To find out which one is gone (from my understanding) is a process of elimination. They tried to charge him $150 excess per coil!

Autosure are great, I have cover on my car with them now.

You might pay a couple of hundred dollars more than the other ones (from memory it was $1300 for 3 years), but you get NO EXCESS.

Be careful with excesses, as they can sometimes sting you multiple times. A mate had cover with another company and needed a coil on his Subaru replaced. To find out which one is gone (from my understanding) is a process of elimination. They tried to charge him $150 excess per coil!

Sounds pretty over the top and almost daylight robbery if you ask me about being charged $150 per coil! How would I go about getting Autosure? My limited understanding was that only dealers were able to provide it for the cars they sell? I'm trying to be a well informed buyer before running out and getting one so any information at all would be fantastic!

Regards

Derek

Sounds pretty over the top and almost daylight robbery if you ask me about being charged $150 per coil! How would I go about getting Autosure? My limited understanding was that only dealers were able to provide it for the cars they sell? I'm trying to be a well informed buyer before running out and getting one so any information at all would be fantastic!

Regards

Derek

Any dealer that sells Autosure should be able to sell you the warranty even if you didn't buy the car there. They make money on these policies, so I doubt they would be turning away business! Alternatively email Autosure and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

The big loophole in these policies is "pre-existing faults." For peace of mind, I would put your car through an inspection as soon as you get the warranty, then you will have on paper any faults and a leg to stand on should the warranty company in the future suggest it was pre-existing

Any dealer that sells Autosure should be able to sell you the warranty even if you didn't buy the car there. They make money on these policies, so I doubt they would be turning away business! Alternatively email Autosure and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

The big loophole in these policies is "pre-existing faults." For peace of mind, I would put your car through an inspection as soon as you get the warranty, then you will have on paper any faults and a leg to stand on should the warranty company in the future suggest it was pre-existing

Thanks for that and I'll go about getting the information. Would people recommend that if there are "faults" with my E39 that I should fix them before getting any warranty?

Thanks again guys!

Regards

Derek