Sign in to follow this  
keen

e46 trouble

Ive just purchased a 2000 year 50000kms e46 and drove it home then when drove it the next day the light on the dash which has a person with seatbelt and I presume a airbag in front has come on Any suggestions as to what has triggered it everything else works OK.

Edited by keen

Ive just purchased a 2000 year 50000kms e46 and drove it home then when drove it the next day the light on the dash which has a person with seatbelt and I presume a airbag in front has come on Any suggestions as to what has triggered it everything else works OK.

Airbag sensor....probably the passengers seat occupancy sensor or either of the seatbelt retractors.

You will need to get it scanned.. Fiddling will not achieve anything....only a scanner can tell you what it is and reset the light once the repair is carried out....Take it back to the dealer...its a WOF issue and youve only had it 2 days

Cheers

Glenn

Airbag sensor....probably the passengers seat occupancy sensor or either of the seatbelt retractors.

You will need to get it scanned.. Fiddling will not achieve anything....only a scanner can tell you what it is and reset the light once the repair is carried out....Take it back to the dealer...its a WOF issue and youve only had it 2 days

Cheers

Glenn

Ok thanks also does anybody have a handbook for one of these?

Ok thanks also does anybody have a handbook for one of these?

Dealers...they are about $50

I have just had the sensor mat replaced in my 2000 e46 $800.00 for original.Lucky I have a good warranty.

What kills them is people kneeling into the passenger seat when getting some thing out of the car.

I have just had the sensor mat replaced in my 2000 e46 $800.00 for original.Lucky I have a good warranty.

What kills them is people kneeling into the passenger seat when getting some thing out of the car.

Cripes that seems like an on going problem. Has anyone else had this problem? I have a boney ass the seat might not know the difference between that and a knee.

Cripes that seems like an on going problem. Has anyone else had this problem? I have a boney ass the seat might not know the difference between that and a knee.

It's a common problem in many BMWs - so far have heard of them on later E36s (as earlier ones didn't have airbags), E46, E39, E38... You'll find it's a much discussed subject.

I'm sure your boney ass didn't cause the problem, not even if you had the boniest ass in the world. :lol:

The small control unit under the seat can also give problems and the wiring loom going back to the SRS control unit.

Stuffing sh*t under the seats can also dislodge the wiring plugs from the control unit.

Sports seats are the hardest to fit sensor matts to and E39 full electric leather seats. You also need new "ogg" rings a special "ogg" ring pliers to replace these.

The E36 sport seats now have a modified sensor matt and the cushion base has to be replaced for this supercession as well.

Here is a strange thing went up to the Paeroa street races on the weekend and another light came on that is the orange engine with the straight piece at the back of the engine. This went off on the return home now today the seat belt air bag one has also gone off.I really like this car as its a dream to drive and meets my requirements and more. Its just this bit with the warning lights. now they are off should I continue with the dealer or wait for them to come on again?

Here is a strange thing went up to the Paeroa street races on the weekend and another light came on that is the orange engine with the straight piece at the back of the engine. This went off on the return home now today the seat belt air bag one has also gone off.I really like this car as its a dream to drive and meets my requirements and more. Its just this bit with the warning lights. now they are off should I continue with the dealer or wait for them to come on again?

Codes should be stored in the realitive ECU's memories so take car to a dealer or any auto sparky/mechanics that have a scanner able to talk to the car -most sparkys should -if any good.

Codes should be stored in the realitive ECU's memories so take car to a dealer or any auto sparky/mechanics that have a scanner able to talk to the car -most sparkys should -if any good.

+1.......as I said before...."GET IT SCANNED" and stop worrying about it. No one can help you with this except a mechanic with a scanner and a "brain".

Thanks for the input its booked in for friday. I feel a bit vunerable to these guys, reputation or not.My past experiance with cars in their care has not been good over the years.

Thanks for the input its booked in for friday. I feel a bit vunerable to these guys, reputation or not.My past experiance with cars in their care has not been good over the years.

If you want peice of mind and your in Palmy go and see Richard(the service manager) at Jeff Grey Bmw, I have always found them very good to deal with.

Edited by braeden.

thanks for that I went and saw them and it has to go back to them. i missed the appointment but one of the mechanics there has made time to suit my late hours and lets hope all will go ok then.