Sign in to follow this  
greyhob

540i

I have a 1997 540i Auto which stalls the engine when shifting into gear from p or n. The problem occurs more often

when using reverse gear and is much worse when the air con is off. It is an intermitant problem happens about

30% of the time in reverse and about 10% of time in forward. any suggestions?

I have a 1997 540i Auto which stalls the engine when shifting into gear from p or n. The problem occurs more often

when using reverse gear and is much worse when the air con is off. It is an intermitant problem happens about

quite often the cam sensor on the front of the engine fails.

Get it scanned first...dont start fiddling

I bet its your idle control valve, gummed up with petrol and oil deposits. Means the valve flap is stuck and cannot move freely.

The ICV is right on the front of the V8 engine, really easy to access.

Remove the ICV and clean it with spray on carb cleaner, very easy and quick to do.

Always needs doing when the car is 10yrs old anyway, so if you havenet cleaned your ICV, your should do it anyway.

I did mine on a Sat morning, took 30min, most of which was spraying until it was clean inside.

Made a HUGE difference to idle performance.