Sign in to follow this  
Creaver

e34 rear suspension height changes depending on gear

Hey guys, as of late i've noticed my e34's rear suspension height changes depending on which gear i'm in. When changing from Park or Neutral to drive for instance, the rear drops in height, and when going to reverse, the rear raises.

Just wondering what's causing this and how it's done? And what the benefit of it doing this is?

Cheers,

Ian.

I noticed this too when i first got my car..you may notice though that there is comparitively less "squat" when actually accellerating and visa versa when braking,some anti squat chacteristics built in to the rear suspension...why it loads up when first engaging gears, I dont know.

I noticed this too when i first got my car..you may notice though that there is comparitively less "squat" when actually accellerating and visa versa when braking,some anti squat chacteristics built in to the rear suspension...why it loads up when first engaging gears, I dont know.

Yours is manual, does it do this while the clutch is still pushed in?

With it being an Auto & RWD when you put it into a forward or reverse gear with your foot on the brake, the back-end will squat (in drive) or lift (in reverse), this is due to the torque rotating the rear wheels/trailing arm with the torque thus causing the squat/lift you are experiencing.

Nothing to be concerned about!!

With it being an Auto & RWD when you put it into a forward or reverse gear with your foot on the brake, the back-end will squat (in drive) or lift (in reverse), this is due to the torque rotating the rear wheels/trailing arm with the torque thus causing the squat/lift you are experiencing.

Nothing to be concerned about!!

doesnt the torque converter sorta prevent this?

doesnt the torque converter sorta prevent this?

Sorta, Try stomping on the gas and see how much it does it.

Some torque still gets applied to the driveline, otherwise there would be a nasty shock & a bit of a lag when you do put your foot on the gas.

Sorta, Try stomping on the gas and see how much it does it.

Some torque still gets applied to the driveline, otherwise there would be a nasty shock & a bit of a lag when you do put your foot on the gas.

Cheers mate, makes sense when you think about it.

yeah what glenn said. This is common in RWD automatics.

most E34's also have LAD, self adjusting rear suspension which is a hydraulic system that hooks up to the rear shocks and is driven of the power steering pump and controlled by sensors in the rear anti roll bar and trailing arms.

This won't have any affect on what your are talking about in this thread but is interesting info nonetheless.

most E34's also have LAD,

really?I thought the the tourings did and the M5s.I know Cains has but i didnt think any other NZ ones did?I know mine hasnt.

really?I thought the the tourings did and the M5s.I know Cains has but i didnt think any other NZ ones did?I know mine hasnt.

x 2 - it is only those models. So far from most.