Sign in to follow this  
Palazzo

Clipping?

We have a completely standard Bm stereo in our M325i, 88, NZ New. It has an amp to power the rear speakers, and two ways in the front, with the separate tweeters in the door pods.

Problem. Turn it up and when it gets loud, it cuts out, just for a second or so, then straight back in. Turn it down a notch or so, no problem. Any ideas?

Is it just the rears that are connected to the amp or do all the speakers cut out

Ok, i think its going into protection(the amp) and cutting out(which causes all the speakers to cut out). Its really just looking after itself. What gauge wiring is going in and out of the amp and whats its capacity? You could try rewiring with a higher gauge cable as potentially not enough power is able to flow in or out of the amp.

It's not clipping (just to clear that up).

It does sound like you are over-driving the amp. This is a current phenonema and putting larger cable will make it worse as you will be lowering the resistance of the system.

Take it to an expert.

[quote name='Cain' date='Feb 20 2008, 06:52 AM' post='159399'

putting larger cable will make it worse as you will be lowering the resistance of the system.

True, my bad.

On consultation with a friend he thought it could be a grounding problem. Or as stated previously take it to an expert. Will be interested to here what it was.

Maybe I'll take it somewhere. To be honest, it doesn't seem that loud, doesn't distort, just cuts out like a cd does when it skips. Maybe I'm jst too used to the Lexus stereo and expecting too much.

Maybe I'll take it somewhere. To be honest, it doesn't seem that loud, doesn't distort, just cuts out like a cd does when it skips. Maybe I'm jst too used to the Lexus stereo and expecting too much.

i have a factory amp . or try gounding points etc

We have a completely standard Bm stereo in our M325i, 88, NZ New. It has an amp to power the rear speakers, and two ways in the front, with the separate tweeters in the door pods.

Problem. Turn it up and when it gets loud, it cuts out, just for a second or so, then straight back in. Turn it down a notch or so, no problem. Any ideas?

Oxidised contacts on the unloader relay which supplies power to the amp.

Replace the relay with a new one.

Thanks Jochen, I'll try that.