Sign in to follow this  
BenEvans

M20 strange noise.. Starter Motor??

Hey,

i own a 1987 325i coupe with the m20 engine, but occasionally when i go to start the engine it makes a very high pitch metal on metal sound. i have been told that it is probly some worn teeth on the starter motor, or fly wheel.

has anyone elce had this problem or know what it is and how to fix it as i am begining to worry that the more i hear the noise the worse its gunna get.

Cheers

Ben Evans

i have some .

in papakura

ph 021433600

i have some .

in papakura

ph 021433600

Cheers, ill keep that in mind. but i need to find out what the problem is first.

Problems with the starter pinion meshing with the flywheel like you say.

You'll have to pull it out to see weather its the pinion or the flywheeel thats worn.

Problems with the starter pinion meshing with the flywheel like you say.

You'll have to pull it out to see weather its the pinion or the flywheeel thats worn.

have ring gears as well

87' M20 Hmmmm, are you sure that your motor is pinging as the starter motor cranks the motor?

It doesn't have a distributor does it? Doe's your m20 ping at all while driving normally?

87' M20 Hmmmm, are you sure that your motor is pinging as the starter motor cranks the motor?

It doesn't have a distributor does it? Doe's your m20 ping at all while driving normally?

hey

no it definatly pings when the key is turned, i then have to turn the car off and into neutral to roll it then start it agin with no problems. and it does not ping or make any noises when the car is going.

Cheers.

Could also be a slipping pinion clutch in the starter - this problem can give some wierd noises, either way - starter needs to come off to check.

I had this happen on my race car. It is the solinoid that is not that thowing the pinion out and rotating it at the same time so therefore it is not meshing properly

I had this happen on my race car. It is the solinoid that is not that thowing the pinion out and rotating it at the same time so therefore it is not meshing properly

cool thanks, but when u fixed yours did u just need to replace the starter? and was there any damage to the flywheel or other parts... cheers