Sign in to follow this  
Matthew

Transfer

hey,

just got a imac the other day, and i have a lot of stuff on my old desktop to put onto my new computer its around 400gb of stuff and want to transfer onto my imac as my mac got 1Tb didnt evn know what that was till today haha.

but yeah any help?

If they have Gigabite (1000) Ethernet, definitely use that.

Second choice is Firewire (400/800). It works like Ethernet with the right settings.

Id think the easiest way would probably be just to network them together, or else burn everything to DVD and transfer it like that.

Its not the fastest way, but theyre the least complicated ways(as far I know)

Actually Im not too sure how PC<->Mac networks work (assuming that your desktop is a normal PC)

ahh yeah right got no idea what any of those are beside the Ethernet cable which i have one, but i do not know how to use it, is it plug and play? yeah well i can get stuff of the main computer with the wireless modem just not anything alse?

DVD? You'll need over 100 of them. If it's between Windows and Mac, then portable HDD is also out of question. (well, not without involve getting some extra software). Best to stick with network, especially wired network. 400GB will take a good overnight job.

So.... you have a old Windows PC and a new Mac is that right?

If yes, you'll need to create a folder then map the drive to transfer.

If no, please explain what hardware have you got.

You also has broadband that has a 4-port router (wireless or not)?

If yes, then you can use the cable that you've already got and plug both computers into the back of the router. In most cases, the router and the operating system will sort the connection settings out automatically.

If no, then you might need a different cable (cross-over Ethernet or Firewire) and manually do settings.

Edit: Typo.

Edited by my_e36

DVD? You'll need over 100 of them. If it's between Windows and Mac, then portable HDD is also out of question. (well, not without involve getting some extra software). Best to stick with network, especially wired network. 400GB will take a good overnight job.

So.... you have a old Windows PC and a new Mac is that right?

If yes, you'll need to create a folder then map the drive to transfer.

If no, please explain what hardware have you got.

You also has broadband that has a 4-port router (wireless or not)?

If yes, then you can use the cable that you've already got and plug both computers into the back of the router. In most cases, the router and the operating system will sort the connection settings out automatically.

If no, then you might need a different cable (cross-over Ethernet or Firewire) and manually do settings.

Edit: Typo.

Why? A Mac will read any Windows filesystem.

Use a portable hard disk.

Firewire 400 is the best option if you have that port on the PC

My friends' Mac had trouble with portable HDD from Windows that was formatted under NTFS. But USB sticks are fine as they are FAT32. That's why I said what I said. But if they work, it's probably a easy option to do transfers.

Sup, thanks for all that help.

But realy have no idea what some that stuff is, but have got my mate to do some transfer over the network i have at home and its working but taken sometime.

Cheers for the help guys!!

Regards Matt

P.s IMAC are confusing from the windows desktop, but imacs are soooo much beter!!